The official WT position on marriage after death

by B_Deserter 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Thanks On the way out..I'd like to see that. That wasn't the teaching when I left but that could have changed in the many years I have been out.

I remember my before my JW hubby died, he and his JW Mom telling me if I didn't go back "Jehovah" would give my hubby a new wife ( in paradise) and he would forget all about me. Sweet weren't they? Also counting their chickens before they hatched assuming they would be in paradise..

Snoozy

• JH
    JH
    They present the possibility (if I remember right)
    that this life of celibacy is temporary, possibly ending during the time after the 1000 years

Ha ! That's funny.....lol

Imagine 1000 years without sex and couting every day ....

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Don't forget JH..sex was invented soley for re-creation..not recreation...

Once the earth is full..no more sex!...

Aren't you glad you don't believe all that stuff anymore...

Snoozy...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They are trying to tell me that my "reward" for screeching around all day for the misery, going to all those fxxxing boasting sessions, and giving up everything that's fun is living forever CELIBATE?

Quick. Get my Christmas tree and decorations out--I have no time to lose in worshiping the sun (and the Devil) to avoid this horrible fate. Get out my Ouija board. The Tarot cards, too. I'll take my horoscope with it, too. A few dozen scratch-offs, too. I am going to need the filthiest rap music I can get--along with Christmas music. And I would like same-day delivery on that computer so I can get online pronto, and look at (and join, hell even start) an apostate forum. Anything I can do to get disfellowshipped and make sure I get destroyed at Armageddon so I won't have to face the of everlasting celibacy.

Hell, due to Jehovah's shutting me down from attracting the opposite sex, I know I am going to grow old and die celibate and with no prospects (perfect for those idiots in the Puketower to attempt to recapture me, since I can "serve without distraction"). But at least I won't have forever to have to look at the of nothing but other men and realize it's MY fault that the sisters all got destroyed, or being sequestered from any of them.

Life Is a Lemon and I Want My Money Back.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I believe they never flip-flopped but they softened. They present the possibility (if I remember right)
    that this life of celibacy is temporary, possibly ending during the time after the 1000 years.

Well, they do not "PRESENT" any possibility that the celibacy is temporary. They cause the
    members to speculate. WT ducks the question to the best of their ability. I clearly remember the
    possibility presented that the situation is temporary, so it must have been in a talk. The mags
    discuss how Jesus was answering a group of people who don't believe in the resurrection and
    that his purpose was to shut them down. The mags twist that into a kindness from Jehovah to
    reveal to widow(er)s that they can remarry in this system.

w05 5/1 p. 22 The Resurrection Hope—What Does It Mean for You?***

Satisfying

Our Desires

Our discussion of the resurrection leaves some questions unanswered. How will Jehovah arrange matters for those who were married when they died? (Luke 20:34, 35) Will resurrections take place in the area where people died? Will the resurrected come back to life close to their families? A host of other questions about the arrangements for the resurrection remain. Nevertheless, we have to keep in mind the words of Jeremiah: "Good is Jehovah to the one hoping in him, to the soul that keeps seeking for him. Good it is that one should wait, even silently, for the salvation of Jehovah." (Lamentations 3:25, 26) In Jehovah’s due time, all will be revealed to our fullest satisfaction. Why can we be sure of this?

w766/1p.349par.24LookForwardwithConfidenceinGod’sRighteousnessandJustice***

In giving that answer Jesus indicated that death dissolves the marriage bond, a fact that Paul later confirmed. (Rom. 7:3; 1 Cor. 7:39) So if a woman’s husband died, would she need to feel obliged to remain without a husband or a father for her children? No. And why do we know that? Because Jehovah kindly included this information in the Bible. Even though he was not attempting to provide us with full details about family arrangements in the New Order, he was thus helping to eliminate a possible problem for Christians yet in this system of things. Does not the fact that he would show such understanding and compassion add to our confidence that whatever arrangements He will make for us in the New Order will also reflect his love, compassion and wisdom?

tschap.20pp.179-180ForWhomWillResurrectionBringBenefits?***

But what about those who are brought back from the dead to live on earth? Will they be reunited with former marriage mates? No statement in the Bible indicates that this will be the case. The Scriptures definitely show that death dissolves the marriage. Romans 7:2, 3 reads: "A married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is alive; but if her husband dies, she is discharged from the law of her husband . . . so that she is not an adulteress if she becomes another man’s."

Hence, if a person chooses to remarry now, he does not have to worry about the effect this might have on a resurrected mate in the future. If singleness is not for him, he does not have to struggle to maintain it in the hope of being reunited in marriage with his former mate in the resurrection. Surely, then, it was a kindness on God’s part not to require former marriage relationships to be in force at the time of a person’s resurrection, as the Sadducees erroneously thought.

While we do not know where on earth or with whom the resurrected ones will live, we can rest assured that whatever arrangement exists will contribute to the happiness of the resurrected ones. God’s gifts, including the resurrection, will wholly satisfy the desires and needs of obedient mankind. His gifts are perfect, flawless. (James 1:17) The generous gifts that we have already received as expressions of his love convince us of that.

• eclipse
    eclipse
    I believe they never flip-flopped but they softened. They present the possibility (if I remember right)
    that this life of celibacy is temporary, possibly ending during the time after the 1000 years.

I always heard the opposite.

After the 1000 years, everyone gets neutered hormonally and nobody is allowed to have sex.

They must be some really sexually repressed people to think up that kind of twistedness.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "There were seven brothers; and the first took a wife and died childless. So the second, and the third took her. Likewise even the seven: they did not leave children behind, but died off. Lastly, the woman also died."

Sorry to be hijacking this thread, but... does it bother anyone else that this gal went through 7 men - all brothers?

I mean... are we talking about possibly the first documented 'black widow', here? Geez Louizzz...!!! If I were brother number 5 or 6... I'd be wondering... unless she was a real 'looker'. (Bad cook, perhaps?)

Regards,

Jim TX

*We now return you to 'what the JWs say'...*

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

WT Wizard:

Now that you are out of the god-damned religion, you should be going out and meeting women. So, you will not have this horrible fate. Right? Come on now, get going.

You are not that old so spiff yourself up and go out. You can meet women anywhere. It doesn't have to be a bar. Just be yourself and be friendly. Besides, one of the benefits of having been celibate in a religion is that you are 'clean' and there are plenty of women who would like to be with a guy who isn't a public utility.

LHG

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I never understood this either.

The WT article assumes that resurrected ones are "like" angels - it doesn't say they "are" angels, in other words, resurrected anointed ones.

Without assigning blame to the WT, why would resurrected ones be forbidden from marriage when God created the male and female and instituted the marriage arrangement?

How could a world with billions of single people, living on their own (don't think the WT lords would relax the opposite sex rule on being alone together) be happy with just themselves? How could they be happy in this status? Is this God "satisfying the desire of every living thing?"

If perfection means not having the desire to get married, then I don't need that kind of perfection. It creates an inhuman status among resurrected souls.

I mean, c'mon, imagine it - 20 billion adults all single, all living in apartment blocks because there is no room for them to have their house and acre of land. Gimme a break.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Without assigning blame to the WT, why would resurrected ones be forbidden from marriage when God created the male and female and instituted the marriage arrangement?

Truthseeker, my feeling is that this is WTS's way of saying, "We don't go beyond the scriptures. See, here's
    one we don't fully understand and we leave it alone. Just assume we do the same with the rest of the scriptures.
    Everything else we say must be backed by the scriptures, because we don't go beyond them."

In short, it's just a head game.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit