What exactly was the point on animal sacrifices

by jwfacts 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The point in the case of atonement was the ancient legal concept of expiation. This was a provision that allowed one's legal guilt to shifted to another person or creature. Punishment for the crime is still meted out, but it is the animal or person that substitutes for the criminal that receives the punishment. In the Torah, a scapegoat (hence the idiom) serves this purpose. It doesn't make any sense in modern concepts of human and animal rights, but this was a popular provision in the law that allowed people to escape fairly strict punishment (e.g. lex talionis, as found in the Code of Hammurabi, the Torah, and elsewhere). Since human law was believed to be an extension of divine law, this provision was applied to religious offences (hence, the Jewish concept of atonement). Expiation is a later development in the practice of sacrifice, supplementing the older practice of propitiation or appeasement of the gods which was also part of Israelite sacrifice as many OT texts show. I think it is important for one to realize also that the Christian concept of Jesus' sacrifice is an expiatory one, not a propitiatory one. It is not a matter of God needing to be appeased, but a matter of an abstract legal debt being absolved.

This builds on a much older expiatory view of suffering and martyrdom found in Deutero-Isaiah and the Maccabean literature (cf. also Daniel 9-12), which themselves built on the Deuteronomistic view found in 1-2 Kings and Jeremiah that explained the destruction of Jerusalem in 587 BC as resulting from the collective sin of Judah against Yahweh. The prophets saw a future restoration of Israel into God's favor, but how would that occur if Israel is guilty? Deutero-Isaiah explains that the faithful remnant who suffered in exile were offered up in expiation for the collective guilt of the whole nation. This explained the larger theological question -- Why should the righteous suffer for the deeds of the unfaithful? Why should Ezekiel and others go into exile when they lived righteously? The Deuteronomistic perspective claimed that these calamities were punishment for sin, yet the righteous did not do anything to deserve the punishment. Expiation supplied an explanation: They suffer on behalf of the many who sinned, in order to absolve the legal debt of the whole nation. But after the exile, Israel was not restored the way the prophets foresaw. The Hebrew apocalypse in Daniel (ch. 8-12) showed that the Persian and Hellenistic periods remained "difficult times" but promised that the foretold restoration lay just ahead, following the Maccabean crisis. This crisis saw many traditional Jews killed for holding fast to their beliefs and traditions. The Hebrew author quite consciously reinterpreted Deutero-Isaiah to refer to his own time, and explained that these poor souls were not dying for nothing, but that their deaths meant something -- they were accepting the legal burden of the nation and atoning for its collective sin. The later Maccabean literature (especially 4 Maccabees) developed this idea along lines that directly anticipates the Christian conception of Jesus' atoning sacrifice. Meanwhile, the Jesus movement universalized the old hopes of a revived, restored Israel into a gospel proclamation that the whole world will, or has been, set right to God through Christ.

Paul however had another ulterior motive in pursuing an expiatory understanding of Jesus' death. He recognized that, as a legal provision, expiation was the undoing of the whole Law itself. For, if it was really possible for anyone who so chooses to be set right before God for all time (i.e. justification), there would be no need for the Law to provide expiation to do the same thing temporarily (i.e. through the sacrifices described in the Torah), it would become superfluous. The Law itself provides the very thing that would render it null and void. But this could not happen until Jesus came, for only he could truly substitute for the whole of humanity. Why only Jesus? Paul elaborated on theological grounds the uniqueness of Jesus in relation to God and to man.

Note that all of this only makes sense within a very arcane, ancient legal provision that no longer exists today in modern jurisprudence, at least in the same form. It survives only in modern theology (soteriology).

• JCanon
    JCanon
    This isn't exactly a direct answer to the thread subject, but....

It amazes me that current day Christianity (especially Americans) embrace the Old Testament as much as they do (when convenient) and makes a fetish out of the Ten Commandments as they do. For one thing, Americans are in love with animals, pets and wildlife in a Green sort of way that borders on the pathological.

Now juxtapose this fetish for making animals part of your family with the embrace of the Old Testament and see how the sparks fly!

Ritual animal killings is as far removed from present day Christianity as you can get. And yet...

The psychology which produces one seems to produce the other.

Hello TERRY? This is such a favroite no-brainer of mine. You don't think the Jews had pets? They didn't eat dogs. Neither do Americans, culturally. But they do eat chickens, and beef, and deer, and pigs! So why is that not being cruel? If they were HONEST, and respected all life, they would be vegetarians. It's like the big fuss some of these people make over killing baby seals or women who wear furs. Oh! How cruel to animals! Then they go to McDonald's and order a Big Mac while walking in their leather pumps.

Different people culturally attach themselves to certain animals and then presume it's horrid if that type of animal is killed, but it varies. In India the cow is sacred. In China the monkey is not. They eat monkey brains over there. Dogs and cats are eaten in the Phillippines for food. I had a favorite female cousin, a witness, who lived on a farm and they raised a young calf who became a beloved pet. But at one point they killed it for the beef. So lots of animals make great pets and are LOVED. But that makes the sacrifice even more significant.

That was precisely the case with Cain's sacrifice and Abel's. You see growing vegetables didn't involve sacrificing something you could form a human attachment to and love for, as nice as those vegetables and fruits. God liked that sacrifice of course, and that's part of the "firstfruits" rituals. But Abel had to choose the best of his flock and likely some animal he had grown to love dearly. So he was giving up much more by his sacrifice, because he was more attached to his animals than Cain was attached to his oinions and cabbages. That's why Jehovah looked more favorably upon Abel's sacrifice than Cain's.

Likewise, even though Christ would only be dead for three days and three nights, it was very painful to put Christ to death. Christ was willing to die to get rid of Satan and the rebel angels, which would benefit everyone, and also to save Adam's murdered children. It's a nightmare for sure, but in the end all will be well. Satan will be no more.

It's FASCINATING when you see it from the viewpoint of heaven. It's almost as if Satan was a HUGE HEADACHE, a "resister" of God, and an "agitator" and trouble maker. But how would the heavens resolve this? Well, if everybody voluntarily died, it would solve the problem. That's because Satan would end up dying as well. Only after that, God would bring back his favorites, namely, whomever he wanted, which was his right. So that's what happened. Those who truly loved Jehovah gladly volunteered to die in order to get rid of Satan, that was a worthy cause. Only happens that they end up being brought back. The beauty of all of that is that it ends the LEGAL DEBATES, on who should get life and who should get death. That's because everybody gets death the first time around. Everybody. Good, bad, angel, man, even the Christ. So ultimately, what is there to debate about? Nothing, really. After everybody gets killed though, God brings back those he wishes, those that love him. And God and those who love him live most happily ever after.

JC

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    God is real and he's going to kill, murder, execute, terminate (whatever) a whole lot of people at Armageddon, starting with those in his own house, meaning the Christian apostates. A great slaughter is about to occur. But then, since people who call God names have a death wish anyway, he's just fulfilling that wish for them so all is well. Gehenna awaits. JC

I'm soooo ready!

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    God is real and he's going to kill, murder, execute, terminate (whatever) a whole lot of people at Armageddon, starting with those in his own house, meaning the Christian apostates. A great slaughter is about to occur. But then, since people who call God names have a death wish anyway, he's just fulfilling that wish for them so all is well. Gehenna awaits. JC

Obviously one JW wasn't listening at this years convention ! All the JWs were told to stop banging on about Armageddon and start talking about the "Joy of the Kingdom". God doesn't want people to come to him through fear ! Not sure that I like your style of evangelism JC.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

AO is the coolest Christian I know!

He knows that I know what the deal is.

My love and repect to the God deserving of my love and respect.

But His name aint Jehovah and He has nothing to do with hatred or killing.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving
  • nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Amen, Sister Quietlyleaving!

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I'm soooo ready!

NVR, sorry its women and children first

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    NVR , sorry its women and children first

I will not be refused!

I demand speedy destruction!

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I know of one useless animal that would make a great sacrifice, he certainly doesn't have a brain or a heart or a soul for that matter

the only problem is due his putrid and acrid smell of his burning flesh we would have to vacate a area at least 10 miles in circumference for health concerns.

Now who am I thinking of ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit