anyone ever have a 'dry socket' from a pulled tooth

by orbison11 17 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

No, I've never had a tooth pulled by a dentist.

I had my first cavity at age 43, a fact I'm quite proud of.

I've only had a total of two.

Look at my pretty teeth: or

changeling

• orbison11
    orbison11

my daughter of 36 has never had a cavity,,,life is not fair i tell you

orb

• horrible life
    horrible life

The first blood cells that start the clot, in an extraction area, have the bodies instruction to start forming bone cells, to fill up the space left by the tooth being extracted.

If this blood clot gets dislodged, for any reason, you are left with a open wound, and a hole in the bone, that is wide open to all oral cavity food, salive, and bacteria. This results in infection.

Antibiotic, and a semi-daily eugenol packing are usually called for.

If you ever get a tooth extracted, remember several things,

1. Do everything the Dr. tells you to do. Even if you feel fine. Anytime you get a tooth extracted, it is surgery. You have opened up your body, and pulled something out of your bone.

2. Don't swish

3. Don't drink out of a straw.

4. No carbonated drinks

5. Don't smoke

6. Soft foods for 2 days.

All of these things can dislodge the clot that forms. Resulting in a dry socket.

• 5go
    5go

I had all my wisdom teeth pulled in two sessions, the first no problem. The second I vomitted right after the surgery. I had the flu and the doctor wanted to wait because vomiting WILL GIVE YOU DRY SOCKET. I didn't get it though ha!

6. Soft foods for 2 days.

I ate Church's chicken the next day too!

4. No carbonated drinks

I stayed away from them for a month after. Though my adiction is back with a vengence now.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Orbison, I feel for you, I had one at age 16, from wisdom teeth ext. I can remember swishing, because of the bad taste. Now I know better of course.

I was taking pain pills, Tylenol #3 with codiene, and they were making me sick. My mother accused me of being pregnant. I hadn't even kissed a boy at that point in my life!!!!

• orbison11
    orbison11

oh horrible life, that just reminded me of something i had forgotten for many decades

(cover your eyes boys)

i was about 14, i had a very heavy period,,went into shock

parents took me to hospital

actually had them like that the rest of my life,,my mother, i found out later, thought i was having a miscarriage......hurt me so much,i knew nothing of sex at that time

wendy

• horrible life
    horrible life

mothers.

I just told my daughter about you and me orbison. She laughed, and I told her that if she is throwing up, and I ask her if she is pregnant, understand now, that it is my duty to ask, and don't cry, just tell me the truth, and get over it. She laughed, and said OK.

Glad, I hope, that I have a good relationship with daughter.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

YES!! I had a wisdom tooth removed and was in agony for about a week before returning to dentist (I tried painkillers, and washing mouth with alcohol). I lost half a stone that week.

Upon returning to dentist, he said it was a dry socket and packed it with, what I can only describe as 'tobacco' (maybe it was ). The pain subsided over the next few hours, but everything I drank filtered through this 'tobacco' (which remained very soft in the socket), and gave things a strong baccy taste. It eventually dissolved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit