Favourite Classical music

by Guest with Questions 111 Replies latest jw friends

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

On another thread I posted Be still my Soul. It is taken from Sibelius Finlandia. It starts at 4:50. Beethoven will probably always be at the top for me but this is great music.

Sibelius Finlandia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDzIpg3bEEM&mode=related&search=

original lyrics:

O, Finland, behold, thy day is dawning,
    The threat of the night has been banished already,
    And the lark of morning sings in the brightness,
    as though the very firmament would sing.
    The powers of the night are already being vanquished by the whiteness of morning,
    Thy day is dawning, O land of birth.
    O, rise, Finland, rise up high
    Thy head, wreathed with great memories.
    O, rise, Finland, thou showedst to the world
    That thou drovest away the slavery,
    And that thou didst not bend under oppression,
    Thy day is dawning, land of birth.

The ChristianhymnBe Still, My Soul, with words written in 1752 by Katharina von Schlegel, translated into English in 1855 by Jane Borthwick (both pre-dating Sibelius' composition), is usually sung to this tune.

Be still, my soul, the Lord is on your side;
    Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
    Leave to your God to order and provide;
    In every change He, faithful, will remain.
    Be still, my soul, your best, your heavenly friend
    Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

A few favourites of mine. Miguel Rios-Song of Joy, A Beethoven song- his 8th I think. Andre Rieu does an excellent rendition with his orchestra doing "The Skaters Waltz. Strauss was the composer . But I still have my heart and soul stuck in the 70's with the music of my school days. Nothing gets rid of a JW faster than a Led Zeppelin classic.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Chopin

• DeusMauzzim
    DeusMauzzim

As the poster above

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

The Planets suite- Holtz?

That's my favourite of the 'classic' classical pieces, but I enjoy listening to instrumental scores from movies and TV too.

• hubert
    hubert
    It is taken from Sibelius Finlandia. It starts at 4:50. Beethoven will probably always be at the top for me but this is great music.

Awesome !!! I watched the whole video. Great video and music !!

Thanks for sharing this. I can't wait to show my grandaughter. Maybe she will start believing in Santa Claus again.

(11 years old)

Hubert

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Rosen aus dem suden (Roses of the South), By Johann Strauss Jr. Had a chance to see Andre Rieu earlier this year when he came to town with his Johann Strauss Orchestra. Outstanding show.

• dobbie
    dobbie

Chopin Polonaise in A Flat Major have loved this since i was young

Mozart Eine Kleine Nachtmusik

Anything with strings in it as well!The violin is one of the most beautiful sounds i think (when played well)

• changeling
    changeling

Vivaldi

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I have been looking for Elizabethan Serenade for years. I used to fall asleep listening to it when I was growing up. I also like Beethoven concerto #5 ( The Emporer) Handels water music, and the Brandenburg concerto. Actually theres more, but those come to mind right away. If anyone could find Eliabethen Serenade for my music thread I'd be gobsmacked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit