First post..kinda long.. sorree

by Parliament 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Parliament
    Parliament

Hey all. This is my first post to this group. I’ve been lurking for quite awhile and to say the least, this board makes me late for work as I oversleep from a late night of reading and wondering. I will try to explain part my story of my witness upbringing and my feelings towards them.

I was raised a witness from the time I was born. The first thing I can remember of being a witness was my father spanking me outside the kingdom hall for not listening or fidgeting in my seat. Not that my father was abusive, but that is what I remember. I was 4-5 at the time. My whole family ( brothers,sisters ) including relatives on both sides are witnesses. Most of my brothers, uncles, cousins and male relatives have or do hold now, positions of responsibility (co,po,elder,ms).

My father has been an elder from day one of that arrangement. With most of those years being a presiding overseer.

I was made to attend every meeting, assembly and or special event. I did feel that I had been raised very well by my parents and didn't miss out on to much. I was never baptized. Anyways, as a normal teen I made my share of mistakes according to their beliefs. The thing that kills me is I was always in trouble for something I had done. About once a month right after the meeting I would get a finger wave to come to the back room by some elder or elders. Of course it was seen by everyone. “Ah oh , look who’s in trouble again”. It was always stupid stuff like, (we heard that you that you said the word “damn” at the congregation picnic last week, or that you were seen “holding so and so hand”). I’m not kidding when I say that there must have been at least 30 of these little meetings that I had to go to in the library. My father attended only a few of these meetings as he was busy with someone else. I always was counseled that what I did was wrong form bible scripture, watchtower or awake. As an adult, I cannot understand why I had to be made to feel that I was so wicked as a teenager. One time I was accused of drinking a beer at a campout with some of my so called friends. My so called friends were all older than I, and were able to purchase beer. When I asked who accused me, they told me who it was. Wait, “that’s the guy that gave it to me”. I was 17 and getting in trouble for having 1 beer that my accuser had bought, and given to me. Ok Ok so I’m wasn't old enough. BIG DEAL. A teen mistake that had to have a special meeting, with 3 elders, and again half the congregation wondering what I had done now. My father had been out of town for almost 6 months due to work , so he was’nt there for that one. My father would have to stay out of town for the next year or so, and I was beginning to not attend meetings. What a relief. Well, one day I had heard thru the grapevine that the elders wanted to talk with me again. I was dating a worldly girl and they had heard see was pregnant. I decided that this was my opportunity to give back a little of my feelings. I was 18 and my father was’nt around. I called one of the elders and told him I would be glad to meet with them.

I don’t think they liked the idea of me bringing my girlfriend to the meeting. They told me that, what they were about to ask, was very sensitive and that, my girlfriend may not want to be present. I told them I knew what they were about to ask, and since it involved her, that they ask her. Of course I could tell they were uneasy about doing so, but they did. She answered them and told her that she was in fact NOT. I asked them who told them this, and why would they say something like this. The elders told me that they couldn't say who it was but it was from a very close friend of mine. I then asked them if me being a un baptized person and dating someone from outside of their truth is a crime. We were both told, that my dating outside of their truth, was not a good idea, as I would be tempted to do unscriptural things. Well I hadn’t done unscriptural things, but I was sure getting sick of being accused of them. I truly loved this girl and I wasn’t going to let them stand in my way. I told them that I would continue to date this girl, and if they felt that they had to do something ,to go right ahead. 2 weeks later it was publicly announced that I was to be considered a bad influence and no one should associate with me. Wow I was finally out of something I was not part of to begin with.

This was twenty years ago and I still have bad feelings towards an organization that shows no love towards their young. I married that girl and have 3 wonderful children. Our marriage is one of the strongest that I know of, both worldly and non worldly. The main reason for not wanting to go back is, that I would never subject my wife or my kids to that type of treatment. I realize now that true love comes though hard work and what you believe is right in your heart. Not the love shown by a group of men that have to question every move you make. Mistakes will be made and have been made in my lifetime. My wife will make mistakes. But most important is that my kids will make mistakes. And I will be here with love and not judgment to help them.

This is only little part of my story and I will post more in the future. Oh boy do I have more. Like the time my friend and I were playing under a desk in the back room and an elder brought in a another elder to discuss his smoking problem. The good-ol boys club I read you guys talking about.

My god be in your heart and with your family and not in a kingdom hall.

Does the above statement make me apostate?

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

(((((((((Parliament)))))))))

Welcome to the board, that was quite a grand entrance!!!!. Thanks for sharing...and I'm glad you made a life for yourself after the Watchtower.

I hope you stick around a while, it's a roller coaster in here but we have lots of good times too!!!

Dungbeetle...so much dung, so little time...

• peacepipe
    peacepipe

It's good you are starting to post here instead of lurking. You'll get alot of things off your chest and find alot of similar stories from others on the board. It sounds like you have some good things to share and I think you'll enjoy your time here.
    Nice to hear from you and welcome aboard!!!

PS: I was not raised a JW but I used to get by butt kicked for stupid stuff like spilling my milk. Either way that can be very hard on a child's self esteem in my opinion.

PeacePipe

Lift me up, I've had enough. . .Tom Petty
  • Prisca
    Prisca

Hello and welcome.

I'm glad you felt brave enough to make your first post. Now that the ice has been broken it will get easier! Feel free to jump in whenever you want to contribute something.

I was raised as a witness by witness parents and my dad was cong servant/PO for many many years. And yes, I was oft taken outside for a spanking by my dad. And if he was busy on the platform, another brother was assigned to do the disciplining for him. Warped I know, but that was the thinking back then.

I'm glad that your story has a happy ending (happily married and all that). Our world needs a few happy ending stories these days doesn't it?

PS Your last statement doesn't make you an apostate. I agree fully with what you said about God being in your heart, not a KH.

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

You said " I realize now that true love comes though hard work and what you believe is right in your heart. Not the love shown by a group of men that have to question every move you make."

WOW! How's you get so smart?

Tryin to do what's right just because it's right,
    MD
    Not Under Mens' Thumb Class

• Xena
    Xena

Hey Parliament,

Enjoyed reading your post...you think the elders would learn if you keep telling someone they are wicked...well if nothing else they will get fed up with it and LEAVE!

lol does the above statement make ME apostate?

Looking forward to hearing more from you....

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I regret to inform you that, having never been baptised, you will never be able to officially carry the mantle of "apostate". However, if you stick around and prove yourself, as the apostates taking the lead are all aging rapidly, with the attendant difficulties and slowing that come with age, the need for a new class of "helper" apostates is becoming clear. Yes you can be one of these "given" ones, even w/o ever having "given" yourself to the aged BFB's. (bastards from brooklyn)

Welcome to the board. It's funkadelic, Parliament.

• Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

Hey Parliament, thanks for the story. I want to tell you that God loves you, and that Jesus died for you. What you experienced in the WT is what happens when men get together and distort the Word of God to their own destruction. Can you imagine Jesus whispering and backbiting like they do in the Org? Of course not. Jesus said you would know His true followers by their love for one another, not by their obedience to doctrine or not by the way they jump when an organization tells them to. The more I read stories of people spying on each other and waiting outside of their 'friends' house to see if they are doing bad things makes me cringe. I know the devil loves religion and He especially loves the WT I am sure. The blind leading the blind. Jesus said of these types 'They tie up heavy loads and put them on men's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.' but said about Himself 'Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Do you think people in the WT have 'rest' for their souls? Of course not. I do not know where you are spiritually my friend, but know that there is no way to earn God's love and there is no way to be 'good' enough to tow the line. The Pharisees couldn't do it and neither can you or elders or whoever. Trust in God and read the Bible and get to know Christ. He will never let you down.

Thanks for being here,

Penn

Mohammed- 'My teachings lead to the attainment of truth'
    Buddha- 'The truth has been revealed to me'
    Jesus- 'I am the truth'

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Parliament

My god be in your heart and with your family and not in a kingdom hall.

Nope! The statement says you are free.

Welcome to the board. I look forward to other experiences and stories. I am glad you have a happy life, it reassures lots of others.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• mommy
    mommy

Welcome
    I am glad you were able to walk away and find happiness. I too left at 18 and I am grateful for this, because I know I carry less baggage. I never felt part of the org either, and often had the feeling I was in the twilight zone surrounded by zombies when at the meetings. And the hypocrites! Oh my biggest pet peeve.

As far as being an apostate...who cares? It is their definition, and you don't play by their rules. BTW I have asked many active Jw's what an apostate is...they don't even know! You would be suprised to see how many definitions this united brotherhood comes up with.

wendy

Six...LOL thanks

Blind faith can justify anything.~Richard Dawkins

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit