Anyone else setting up the Christmas tree or thinking of it already?

by WTWizard 28 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    I have heard it recommended (from a good source, an ex elder) that you need to have at least 100 lights per foot of Christmas tree. So a 6 foot tree = 600 lights.

Different numbers of lights will have different effects. If you just want some sparkling of lights, for a 7-foot tree it only takes 25-50 well-placed lights. Large bulbs in small number will give you accent lighting.

A fairyland appearance can be had with about 500-600 mini lights, preferably flashing in random sequence. This effect is best with most of the lights on the surface, and lots of reflective and refractive ornaments. Fewer lights will give more of an isolated twinkling effect, where more densely lit trees will give more of that fairyland effect.

If you really want a showpiece similar to what you find featured in the malls, then I'm afraid you are going to need 2400-4000 lights for the tree. That is how they get those department store trees to look so good amidst the other trees and the bright lighting. If they twinkle, you can get a major fairyland effect. Just beware that for some, this amount of lighting can make a tree too bright. The tree will also appear to glow from the inside out if you put lots of lights inside the interior branches as well as the perimeter.

This is not a problem. Different people have different preferences. You do not want a brightly lit tree if you have Brother Hounder prowling around, or if it might disturb a sleeping baby. And you might prefer a sparsely lit tree. Just as there is no hard and fast rule of colors of lights (some prefer to put all clear or all red-and-clear; others like all colors), there is no rule about the amount of lights. Some people put clear lights on the interior of the tree and colored on the exterior to give more brightness. The most important thing is to know what to expect so you will end up with the effect you want without attracting unwanted attention from Brother Hounder.

• anewme
    anewme

Ive been out six years now. I remember the summer I too jumped the gun and put up a "Christmas in July"
    tree. Everyone was very kind to me about it and said they understood. My husband and mother in law have been very patient while I worked out all the kinks and bugs and angst and anger from being in the borg for over 35 years. I had my tree up for a couple of months until way into September when I noticed it beginning to get rather dusty. How do you clean a dusty Christmas tree and ornaments I wondered? Horrors!

I blew it off with an air compressor and put it away until the proper season.
    Ive only done that once. Then last summer I attended a moving sale where the householder was practically giving away a ton of expensive Christmas stuff. I loaded up my car with everything they were giving away.
    So last Christmas I went whole hog on the decorations. When I finished, my house looked like an obscene Santa's Grotto on steroids! Rather overdone as I look back. But to me it was fantastic! Too bad our only guest for Christmas was my MIL who ate some salmonella-filled party leftovers the day before and spent the entire Christmas day on my couch barfing into a grocery bag. Wonderful.

When she left I felt disgusted with Christmas and felt I was a fool to fuss over it so much. Religion!!!

This Christmas is going to be interesting as I do not know where I will be December 25th. My husband and I are renting a room in a house that is being sold this summer. Our stuff is in storage.
    I have wondered what our Christmas will be like this year. It probably wont be Santa's Grotto this year.
    Maybe this year Christmas will be enjoying a meal in a Denny's looking out an artificially frosted restaurant window. I dont know.

But I do look forward to it with anticipation nonetheless. It is a lovely holiday during the cold winter months.

• merfi
    merfi

Mine is sitting ready in its box in the basement. I put it up mid-November last year but will probably wait til T'giving weekend this year. Or maybe not wait, depends.

Halloween first though!! Thinking of what to suggest the kids wear for Trick or Treating, checking out the decorations in the Hallmark store...

I looove holidays. :)

~merfi

• winnie
    winnie

I'll put ours up around November sometime. This year I'll be decorating outside with as much as I can afford, seeing as we have JW next door neighbours now!

I started buying pressies for the kids 2 months ago. With 5, I've gotta start early! My only problem is hiding them somewhere they won't find them!

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

To avoid the rainy season here, it's Labour Day weekend I usually start for the outside. Adding l.e.d. lights around a new retaining wall.A little here, a little there.

• Frank75
    Frank75

We call it a Hanuka tree. You can't get DF'd for that!......Can you?

Frank75

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

We call it a Hanuka tree. You can't get DF'd for that!......Can you?

Frank75

Frank, you should know by now, if they want to DF you they will! lol BB

• noni1974
    noni1974

I put my tree up the week before Thanksgiving and light it on Thankgiving night.I love my tree.I didn't put one up last year because I had to get a new one so I waited until after Christmas and got one on clearence.I got a pre lit 7' tree for $15.00.I also got a bunch of ornaments and other things all on sale.

This year I'm going all out.I can't wait.I have a couple of people I'm exchanging gifts with so I have to start shopping soon.I even have some kids to buy for.I can't wait!!!!

• Sassy
    Sassy

I'm usually itching to put it up about a week before Thanksgiving.. but force myself to wait until the day after..

other wise it sort of rules out the other Holidays..

and now a days you can decorate up big for the other Holidays.. For Halloween I have lights in the window just as I do Christmas... and I all kinds of decorations for Halloween... and example of one I have:

and I have just begun collecting for Thanksgiving..

so see.. if I decorate for Christmas already.. where would I put my earlier decorations?

if you have the itch to put up a tree.. why not a Halloween tree?

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Oooh, I can't think about XMAS yet till Halloween is over with! I have costumes and candy to buy.

Somewhere in this board is a thread of our tree pictures. I think Restrangled started it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit