QUESTIONING THE OBVIOUS or deconstructing Jehovah's Witnesses

by TerryWalstrom 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

What is the most obvious thing you can think of about Jehovah's Witnesses from the standpoint of worldwide recognition?

Wouldn't it be 2 primary things: the name Jehovah and secondly, the public testimony or witnessing?

Let's begin deconstructing those two things.

First, why would Christians refer to themselves by any other name than Christian?

It was first in Antioch (in the 1st century) they began calling themselves Christian, according to scripture.

Did early Christians ever call themselves Jehovah's Witnesses? No.

The Old Testament Jews did not call themselves Jehovah's Witnesses either.

In fact, the religion of Judaism identifies itself in terms of its own ethnic origins rather than any evangelical testimony about Jehovah. The word "Jew" (in Hebrew, "Yehudi") is derived from the name Judah, which was the name of one of Jacob's twelve sons.

Secondly, did the Jews go from city to city, tribe to tribe, nation to nation witnessing about Jehovah? No. They avoided contact with outside people. Judaism was not Jehovahism. Judaism was concerned with rituals and ceremony (sacrifices and law keeping) in order to receive protection from God.

Jews moved about and did what they did under the auspices of divine approval, specifically protected and approved by the deity Jehovah. Noteworthy is the fact Jews were not evangelizing or aiming to acquire members from the outside. They were chiefly concerned with internal affairs. The world at large meant nothing but trouble.

Christianity, on the other hand, after the destruction of ritual worship in Jerusalem, became more and more about safety in numbers since the Jews were scattered (Diaspora). For Christians to survive they had to gain members. This was done by word-of-mouth (witnessing).

QUESTIONING THE OBVIOUS

Early Christianity believed one fundamental hardcore teaching which it trusted no matter what: Jesus would return shortly and take them to His heavenly kingdom.

The facts of history demonstrate this 'return shortly' evaporated into a broken promise.

HOW DID CHRISTIANITY CONTINUE if the most basic promise of Jesus returning shortly failed?

Christianity changed to a new fundamental and spiritualized the old fundamental; EXACTLY the way Judaism had done. In other words, Christianity continued by inventing a new foundation each time the old foundation failed. Christianity became an organized central government.

Jews expected an earthly Messiah who would be like David and become king. Instead, some Jews embraced Jesus while others began a revolutionary insurrection against Rome. Jesus was executed and the temple destroyed.

REBOOT!

Where does this leave us in our deconstruction project?

We find that it is the nature of superstitious belief that, because it is wishful thinking, it can be modified and adapted to fit new circumstances. It can MOVE THE GOALPOSTS. This isn't seen as 'cheating' but it is psychologically necessary.

Unless religious faith is adaptable, malleable and changeable it dies.

Charles Taze Russell's core group of early followers rallied around what?

A NEW BIBLE STUDY METHOD which was detailed Subject by Subject.

The Bible was the center of attention.

What changed?

Russell began shifting appreciation for BIBLE to his OWN writings as superior!

He bragged that a person who used only his Studies in the Scriptures would be far better off than a person who used only the Bible.

This was ADAPTATION and a SHIFT from basic Protestant sola scriptura to CULT control.

___________________-

After Russell's death, Judge J.F.Rutherford's biggest problem was finding a way to peel off the cult of personality from Pastor Russell and, somehow, apply it to himself. The meaning of the identity: Christian WAS TOO AMBIGUOUS. The meaning of the identity: Bible Student WAS TOO AMBIGUOUS.

By inventing a new identity JEHOVAH'S WITNESS, Judge Rutherford did what Jews did when being a Jew became a liability (Romans saw them as insurrectionist enemies).

This was CHANGE, adaptation, malleability, and survival.

Every time a religious foundation is upended it must be morphed, shifted, redefined in order to remain useful.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES were CHRISTIAN, but being 'Christian' was associated with Bible Students and Russell.

Rutheford tore off that 'Christian' label and REBRANDED by changing it to JEHOVAH.

When Rutherford died, Nathan Homer Knorr rebranded JW's as Missionaries and Ministers rather than street peddlers denouncing Government, Big Business, etc.

NEW LIGHT is merely the process of retiring unworkable foundational beliefs. It requires subtle transition and nothing more.

THE CORE IDENTITY of JW's shifted completely in 1972/73 to an ORGANIZATION LOYALTY cult.

It is no longer chiefly about Bible, magazine sales, or missionary work. It is about a bloodless coup of REFORMATION occurring recently in which all the annoying and troublesome identifying doctrines are scrapped.

This new Jehovah's Witnesses is now ABOUT ITSELF.

It has become a Narcissistic SELF-WORSHIPPPING cult. The image of this beast is JW.ORG

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    I have been trying to write something similar to this. My understanding, however, is that Jews were witnesses to Jehovah among their own generations. Never do JWs attempt to say the preach and witness like the jews did. In essence, they were to bear witness of what Jehovah did for them to their own descendants. Based on what I read, and provided that I have not read everything, God was the one asking for them to bear witness of it. Point being is that God needed this nation in order to put his own mark on earth, when all other nations had their own gods and would claim victory thanks to their gods, if Jehovah planned to make sure all people knew he was the true god, then he needed a nation. Hence, once that was done, they could now bring forward the messiah, who was a savior for the whole earth. Thus now they should be witnesses to Jesus, not Jehovah. For he who bears witness of the son, also bears witness of the father. Correct me if I miss something.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Terry: Charles Taze Russell's core group of early followers rallied around what?
    The Bible was the center of attention.
    What changed?
    Russell began shifting appreciation for BIBLE to his OWN writings as superior!
    He bragged that a person who used only his Studies in the Scriptures would be far better off than a person who used only the Bible.
    This was ADAPTATION and a SHIFT from basic Protestant sola scriptura to CULT control.

To continue in the spirit of 'deconstruction...the 'New Bible Study Method' was modeled after the International Correspondence Schools Home Study Courses.

Two of the early Russell followers (business partners) were textbook writers for ICS. George Fisher and Clayton Woodworth.

I would suggest that your last sentence should read: "This was ADAPTATION and a SHIFT from basic Protestant sola scriptura to corporate control."

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Engaging evaluation Terry and a correct one.

Charles Taze Russell's core group of early followers rallied around what?

Under the supporting proclamation of real truthful bible interpretation, guided by God's holy spirit.

Therefore we are " In the Truth " as for the others, they sadly are not .

This long standing purporting assertion carried itself decade after decade, that the WTS had the truth and other Christian religions have not and those religions therefore were soon to be destroyed.

All of this reflectively came originally from C Russell and his own self supporting published bible interpretations.

The WTS leaders perhaps developed their own delusions that they were "In the Truth" since they all were irrevocably indoctrinated and trained to think as such by their own personal involvement with the WTS.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Thanks for the emendations!

• Ding
    Ding

The NWT rendering of Acts 11:26 says that it was by divine providence that they were called Christians.

If God wanted them to call themselves "Jehovah's Witnesses," why does the NWT rendering of Acts 11:26 say that it was by divine providence that they were called "Christians"?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I also think that Rutherford came up with the JWs as means to differentiate (his) organization from the rest of Christendom. The actual name of Jehovah as something not readily used by other main stream Christian religions.

As its known this differentiation by the WTS/JWS has been an important part of the created structure of their theology toward self identifying their own organization .

.......... are you in the Truth ?

if not, you better hurry for judgment day is soon upon us.

The WTS will show and direct you in how to appease god .

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Spot on Ding. I saw that once I decided that it was time for me to become a true JW. I actually read the bible and realized that.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

While you are preaching to the choir, let me play the "Witnesses advocate " for a moment. They make it clear that they aim to stand out from the millions that call themselves "Christians." If they just identify themselves as Christians, then the people they attempt to recruit would say "I'm a Christian too" and it would just lead to nothing but arguments about all paths leading to God. This deconstruction, if it were enough, would be enough to dismiss all "Christian" denominations. That is good enough for us in the choir but not for "Christendom."

The writers of the NT never intended for splinter groups to form, but hoped that "The Way" was going to be one group. "Christian" was not their label until later. (Debatable when.)

On their city-to-city or nation-to-nation ministry, the choir must turn to the advocate again. Witnesses are told and shown in their JW that the recruiting was everything to the apostles and disciples in the early days.

Thanks from the choir for your thoughts. How's that going to help believing JW's?

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Well, Jesus did clarify how to identify "Christians". The name sure is generic and hardly makes a case for any single organization to be identified as the true organization. But yet again, I personally don't think that such a thing was in the mind of God or Jesus. The bible clearly states that you would recognize this men (not organization) by their fruit and by their love among one another. Never, I believe, does the bible mentions that they should behave and act as if they were their own sovereign country with legal systems and all. Yet, this is what the WTS is attempting to do and more so this days. Just review the new book (God's Kingdom rules) and you will see that. They lined up closer to the Jews of old Israel than they do to the first century Christians.

Just wish I had more time to write. Not saying my view is better or is the only one right. Just like Terry here, I am trying to put my thoughts together for someone to review.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit