I don't have a clue about what I'm doing

by erynw 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• erynw
    erynw

Check out http://www.pbcc.org/dc/hebrew/HebVerbCharts.pdf.

You've got an imperfect verb in the first (yiqtol) and a perfect (qatal) verb in the second. The first passage views perishing as a process, i.e. wearing out like an old garment. The second views it altogether as a single event, i.e. at the moment of death. It's simply a different aspectual focus. One is over a duration and the other is not.

Thank you. So, at the end of the process, as in the old garment, there's no use for it any longer. Is the final outcome for both that they are no longer around?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Well, that is the meaning of "perish". But that has nothing to do with the reason why a different verbal form is used. That is due to the different way the verbal event is viewed in the two texts. The perishing of one's mental faculty occurs in one moment, the moment one dies. A garment does not wear out in a single moment. It takes lots of use and wear and tear for this to happen. So it is more appropriate to use an imperfect verb there. It connotes the idea that heaven and earth would perish over a duration of time until the time comes for them to be replaced like an old piece of clothing.

• erynw
    erynw
    Well, that is the meaning of "perish". But that has nothing to do with the reason why a different verbal form is used. That is due to the different way the verbal event is viewed in the two texts. The perishing of one's mental faculty occurs in one moment, the moment one dies. A garment does not wear out in a single moment. It takes lots of use and wear and tear for this to happen. So it is more appropriate to use an imperfect verb there. It connotes the idea that heaven and earth would perish over a duration of time until the time comes for them to be replaced like an old piece of clothing.

Right, that's what I got from the comparison (sp). I saw that there were two different time frames, but the main thing I got was that in the end, both perish. Thank you so much Leolaia!

Now, onto the sexual orientation of Jesus!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit