Tort Law and Disfellowshipping

by journey-on 11 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Let's say that a religious organization wishes to DF me or shun me... and I want to practice that religion. How does the Constition protect the rights of that organization over my own rights?

That doesn't really add up, logically. A DF'ed person is free to go through the temporary
    shunning period and be accepted back into the flock. If you wanted to practice the same
    religion as the one that DF'ed you, that means you agree with their right to set the standards.
    If you don't agree with the standard or their right to set it, then you don't want to practice
    that religion.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    I've thought also about a minimun age requirement for baptism.

Jesus was 30 yrs. old, for crying out loud, before he got baptized. At 12 he was hobknobbing with the rabbis and teachers, so his knowledge was adequate, but he lacked something developmentally necessary to make higher life-altering decisions.

I can't recall a single scripture that talks about children getting baptized. I think it's abhorrent to allow it, then when they turn 17 or 18 and commit some act of immorality get disfellowshipped and consequently shunned. Their whole life is turned upside down and it can send them into a down spin they may never recover from emotionally and psychologically.

I wish there was some way to hold the WTB&TS legally responsible for what this does. If the religion was mainstream and didn't impose the practice of df'ing and shunning, the young age of baptism would not be that big of a deal. But, in the JW org. it can have deadlyconsequences. Look how many have committed suicide because of it. Look how many have been alienated from the affection of their family and friends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit