How many elders did this?

by Bumble Bee 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

5go had a thread here - The Service Overseer nearly cried from the podium that mentioned something I never realized, elders having to chip in from their own pockets to cover expenses.

How many elders here had to do that, and what was the average amount and frequency that you had to make up the shortfalls?

BB

• Serg
    Serg

As I was growing up my dad was an elder and I remember him having to make up on more than one occasion for the cong. expenses. It had to be at least once every quarter because contributions always seemed to be behind in order to meet the "sum". It was usually 1 to 2 Bens.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Why in the world did they have to do that??

The elders are usually the poorest of the lot!!

Is this an actual rule or an "unspoken rule?"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am the main one who mentioned the elders covering the shortfalls.

It was not a "rule." It was just a way of kissing ass. You got enough donations
    that the C.O. didn't have to get involved. Many elders were unable at times to
    carry a certain load of financial assistance.

There were times when the elder body helped a member because of sickness and
    unemployment. Those were purely voluntary and no real pressure was applied.
    We would simply say, "Brother Sickly can't pay the rent. We were wondering if
    the BOE were able to help. It averages out to $60 apiece."
    But when there was a shortage in the monthly expenses, and we had already
    gotten money from the congregation, it was really more expected. Our BOE
    (not necessarily typical) stated the exact amount that would cover the cost from
    each elder and we spoke out loud about our ability to give it. I don't remember
    anyone ever saying they could not give it. Then each would give the money to
    the accounts servant or drop it in the box that week.

• S EIGHT
    S EIGHT

We dont need to dip in to our pockets.

We have £15000 in our congo account even though our sister congo is struggling to raise money to replace their 60 year old hall (while we enjoy our 3 year old quick build he he).

Perhaps they should pray harder and have more faith then they will be blessed as much as we have been.

Oh, and our African brothers are starving but at least we provide them with Watchtowers which they can use instead of fire wood to keep themsleves warm in the evening.

S8.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

My father was an elder, I was an elder. While a ms, I was account servant for approx 10 years. I never seen or heard of this happening. It would never occur to me or my fellow elders to do such a thing. We had a few months that were pretty close, but never heard of the suggestion of contributing to make the cong even.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

My congregation always had money in the bank so it was never an issue. As OTWO mentioned, there were times when a person needed something and the BOE would take up a collection (among the elders and sometimes the MS) to help the person out. I can remember several occasions where that took place and it was mainly for some of the elderly members of the congo. I still think local congregations should have a "needy widow" fund but at least that particular BOE saw that it was a Christian thing to do and at least tried to help out when possible. I understand that may not be the norm but it certainly should be.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

My dad was an elder (still is), anyway I remember him talking to my mom on several occassions about having to kick in money to help pay KH bills. I remember this because one time was when my brother needed braces and my dad said no because he had to put money in to help pay KH expenses. This of course was before HMO's when you actually paid up front for doctor, dentist and hospital bills. Rx's were paid in full. No such thing as a $10.00 copay

We were always having talks about the need for contributions, ALWAYS!

nj

• Sassy
    Sassy

I doubt the congregation I was in.. in Cali ever needed it, they always had a surplus of money..

now the congregations i was in in the midwest.. at least two of them which were very small.. I am very sure the elders pitched in when money was short.. I know for a fact my ex father in law used to at times.

• changeling
    changeling

My dad did it "big time". Anytime a need presented itself, if the cong did not step up, he supplemented from his (our) pocket. Continues to do it today as an old man on a fixed income. Never complained about it though.

changeling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit