JW Science Quote Of The Day 8-28

by TD 22 Replies latest jw friends

• MsBHaving
    MsBHaving

Actually, I wonder if these can all be put in a folder of their own. It would be easier to read them

• Gopher
    Gopher
    I wonder if these can all be put in a folder of their own. It would be easier to read them

Or maybe TD - you can put these into a book? Suggested title: "They blinded me with science"

• choosing life
    choosing life

TD,

Good example! I was watching a show about the coral reefs and how each creature fills a niche. There are so many different ones placed to be food and others to be predators. It all works together and how would man's fall affect the vast oceans?

Thanks again.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit
    TDGorillas are relatively dainty feeders that spend a lot of time manually preparing their food before they eat it. The only creature that surpasses them in this respect is Man.

I watched a 450lb Silverback gorilla, in amazement, as he ate a banana. 1st off, he was watching me the whole time. Holding the banana in one huge hand...he 'popped' the stem back and peeled it. One hand. Then, still holding the peel he tossed the fruit in his mouth, then...he ate the peel !

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/02/0218_050218_human_diet.html
    Stanford has spent years visiting the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park in Uganda, Africa, studying the relationship between mountain gorillas and chimpanzees.
    "It's the only forest where mountain gorillas and chimps both live," he said. "We're trying to understand the ecological relationship—do they compete for food, for nesting sites?"
    The key difference between chimps and gorillas ecologically is that chimps eat meat and gorillas don't. A total herbivore is able to coexist with an omnivore because they have significantly different diets.

Genetically, we are closer to chimpanzees than gorillas, wonder how the WT explains chimps teeth and diets ?

Rabbit

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Wow!! Do they even bother to read...I don't know...ONE book about gorillas?? Even one written for kids?? And remember folks, Jehober is the editor of the mag. He approves everything that is printed.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What about animals that have no molars? I can think of the crocodiles, the large cats (in fact, all cats), dogs, and sharks. Their teeth are all sharp, designed to tear at flesh. They lack molars to grind vegetarian foods. Even though cats have been known to eat grass and will go crazy for catnip, the teeth do a poor job at extracting proteins and energy from such sources. They only eat these things for the minerals and vitamins contained therein that cannot readily be found in meat.

It is totally ridiculous to think that these animals are going to eat vegetation as a sole source of energy. Anyone who is trying to lose weight will tell you that eating vegetables is an excellent way to lose weight--something that most animals do not need to do (in fact, many of them need to gain weight in order to survive the winter). A diet of straw is not going to cut it for those animals that have teeth (and digestive tracts) designed primarily for handling meats. Not to mention that their high need for protein and fat will go unfulfilled on a diet of straw and vegetation.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

this is a carnivorous planet the question i have is at what point do you draw the line? it's true most witnesses believe no carnivorous activity existed before the flood and will end after armageddon how is that possible how can the ecological system function like that? the pretty little pictures never explain it.

• Terry
    Terry

I once worked at an Art Gallery with a lady who was the most religious person I've ever met.

And NOT in a good way!

She had a Noah's Ark coffee mug. She called a Prayer Hotline when she lost her car keys. That sort of thing. Get it?

Anyway...

I loved baiting her.

I was not nice at the time. It was a sorry sport I indulged in for amusement. I wouldn't do this today. I'm slightly more enlightened and secure.

We got onto the subject of DEATH.

She baldly stated that death entered the world through Adam's sin.

I asked innocently about animals.

She insisted ALL DEATH including that of animals entered the world because of Adam's sin. Period. Exclamation mark!!

So, I further prodded.

"What about dinosaurs? For millions and millions of years they tore each other to shreds for breakfast, lunch and dinner, didn't they?"

She gave me the most pitying look.

"That's all baloney!"

"THERE WERE NO DINOSAURS!" She stated this like you'd say 'the sun will come up tomorrow.' Complete confidence.

"Really?" I interjected lamely.

"Yes, Satan put those bones in the ground to tear people away from faith in Christ!"

Well, honestly. That just shut me up.

I suddenly realized the tragedy that was this lady's mind!

It would be criminal of me to continue to make fun of her. She was so steeped in religious bullshit her rational power to grasp obvious fact was atrophied to the point of abject stupidity.

At another time she told me it is best to plant your garden during a Full Moon.

I simply couldn't hold myself back from asking, "Why is that?"

"Because, the pull of the moon's gravity at that time is greater. It yanks the tender shoots out of the soil!"

Amazing! Simply amazing.

Another time she told me her great grandmother had died back in the early 1900's and the family called a local preacher in to pray over her after the doctor had pronounced her dead.

After praying for awhile, the preacher shouted, "Look at her eyelids fluttering!"

Sure enough, she opened her eyes and sat up!!

"How do you explain that?" she asked triumphantly.

I turned to her and said, "Faulty diagnosis on the part of the doctor, I'd say."

She sneered and turned away and left the room.

What a piece of work she was.

I learned not to argue with people who use their brain as a doorstop.

(Except now and then with Perry!)

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

All good Witnesses know that Dinosuars ate Pineapples and Coconuts so they needed huge teeth!!!!!

• JWoods
    JWoods

I too have heard the speculation that "Dinosaur fossils are a divine trick on the misguided evolutionists" by the furthest fringes of fundamentalism.

It does, of course, leave open the question of why a God would want or need to trick people into "wrong ideas."

When I asked about it, the believers in this kind of went into predestinationism - that "some people were destined to get it, some weren't"

Which does, of course, still leave open the question of (if the people either got it or did not in the first place) - why a God would want or need to trick people into wrong ideas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit