Out-of-body experiences recreated in a lab

by acsot 16 Replies latest jw friends

• acsot
    acsot

Wonder what paranormal believers will make of this. British and Swiss researchers have succeeded in deliberately inducing out-of-body sensations.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070823.wbrain0824/BNStory/Science/?cid=al_gam_nletter_newsUp

• joannadandy
    joannadandy
    But is it the same as a spontaneous out-of-body experience? Dr. Ehrsson isn't sure it is as profound or dramatic, but says it appears to be a similar sensation.

Here is your answer from the article itself.

While it's interesting, and I'm not sure how I feel about "out-of-body" experiences, I'm not sure this is an explination for why people in tramatic situations feel/experience an out-of-body experience.

• freeme
    freeme

oh i thought its for real... its only a simulation with cameras and 3d glasses. its very interesting but as i expected.

• Terry
    Terry

I think the most essential point to be taken from this is that most people trust their own personal experience to be real and then extrapolate from there.

If you believe what you feel/see really happened (wasn't a dream/hallucination/brain dysfunction) you build an entire belief system around it. Then, you write books, go on tv and charge disciples by the hour. Then, an industry springs up and you have seminars, conventions and T-shirts.

All that from trusting your brain to always be objective!

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

As I said before it does not explain why there are numerous experiences where people have had out of body experiences have been able to return to their body with information regarding people, places and events that they had no other way of knowing.

I'm not saying these people have left their body and returned, I'm not saying they have a soul etc However there are too many reports of the above happening which this test does not explain.

However this test only shows how a persons brain can be stimulted to recreate a certain sensation and that's all.

Not too exciting imo.

• TopHat
    TopHat

If you believe what you feel/see really happened (wasn't a dream/hallucination/brain dysfunction) you build an entire belief system around it. Then, you write books, go on tv and charge disciples by the hour. Then, an industry springs up and you have seminars, conventions and T-shirts.

Do you mean, like that man from the "God Delusion"? Sounds like him!

• Mary
    Mary
    BSoM said: As I said before it does not explain why there are numerous experiences where people have had out of body experiences have been able to return to their body with information regarding people, places and events that they had no other way of knowing. I'm not saying these people have left their body and returned, I'm not saying they have a soul etc However there are too many reports of the above happening which this test does not explain.

I tend to agree. However, skeptics always dismiss these experiences as either hallucinations, a brain disfunction or even accuse the person of lying. Funny thing is, I know three Witnesses who have all had Out of Body experiences. It scared the shit out of them because naturally they figured it was demunz screwin with their minds. One of them is no longer a Witness and she told me that she had experienced it when she was being molested.

• ninja
    ninja

I created an out of body experience in my house .....all it took was 8 cans of draught guinnii and a wee snifter of whisky......after that I went towards the light.....the light in the fridge that is....for some food

• Warlock
    Warlock

Why should I believe these researchers are telling the truth?

Warlock

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I think the most essential point to be taken from this is that most people trust their own personal experience to be real and then extrapolate from there.

All that from trusting your brain to always be objective!

I had a "out of body experience" I saw a lot of things, I saw myself running, I saw myself doing things I would never do and I could not stop myself from doing these things. I saw myself as different people in the past and so on, oh and god talk to me. I know all these things were hallucinations and a temporary brain dysfunction, but they felt real and if it was not for the things I know I would have probably believed it was some kind of spiritual or supernatural experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit