What kind of positive proof would you need....

by journey-on 35 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

That's a good question and I don't have an answer. What ever it was would have to be clear and irrefutable.

changeling

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    When no more children are raped.

When the mentally ill are made whole.

When the blind and deaf are freed from their suffering.

When disease no longer ravages us.

When we no longer discuss His existence, just as we don't discuss the existence of radiation or wind or electricity or microorganisms, though invisible to our eyes.
  • BFD
    BFD

I think proof positive for me would be if I see Jesus coming in the clouds along with everyone else. Of course, then I'd have to bend over backwards and kiss my ass goodbye.

BFD

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Accepting the possibility of a god is not difficult, but the absolute existence of one, well, that's a different story.
    I have said before that when I was at my lowest point, I turned to God and did what I thought was his will.
    Later, I found out I was led into a mind-control cult. So from now on, if God wants me to do his will, he will
    have to personally tell me what that will is. Until then, I will live a good life by my own moral standards.

I will just add that, if this were to ever happen, then I would first make sure I wasn't crazy, and then I would
    have the proof that I need. The downside of this is that he might not have a will for me to be doing, so he
    has no need to contact me. In that case, I can keep unsure of his existence and keep living as I am.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I think the question should be why is it important to believe in a god? If there is a god and it is very important to believe in him or her then that god if it really is a loving god, would make sure that there was no doubt on its existence.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

worldtraveller:

The fact that we are here indicates clearly to all that there must be a beginning. Everything has a beginning, like a tree or an invention.

But not a god? If a god can be eternal, then why couldn't the universe be eternal? Our own universe had a beginning (around 15 billion years ago) but matter or energy or something could have existed before that. There are a lot of cool theories on what was before the Big Bang (multiverse theory, etc). It makes more sense to think of the universe as eternal- we can see the universe, we know it exists. We cannot see a god, we cannot know that exists.

Looking into the future, do we think there will be an end? Perhaps there will be an end to earth, or our universe, but an end of everything? Time, matter, energy? I doubt we'd think that, so if we see the future as endless, why is it so hard to think of the past as being endless? Time is relative, we just happen to be moving forwards through it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit