Remember the Movie "Raiders of the Lost Ark"...

by alias 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• alias
    alias

... towards the end when the bad guys opened the ark and Indiana and his lady were tied to the pole, the spiritual unleashing that came out and killed, no, MELTED all the bad guys?

I was probably 9 or 10 when that movie came out and it literally scared the cheese out of me in the theater. I was so glad to be a JW at the time because I felt like I just witnessed the power of God and saw what was going to happen to opposers when judgment day came.

I don't know what triggered that memory just now, but I think I just had a breakthrough about one of the biggest stitches in the fabric of childhood-embedded fear.

Please tell me that I'm not the only one this movie influenced/reinforced JW fear-based thinking. Let the unraveling begin...

alias

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Ugh, I remember talking about the third one where one of the tests to get to the grail was the name of God.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I thought that scene in the movie was a disgrace, because we all know God would never indiscriminately kill so many people so horribly.

Would he?

W

• John Doe
    John Doe

I was younger than 10 when that came out. I closed my eyes through that part the first two times I watched it. ;-)

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

i had nightmares about it for weeks. now i watch it, and realize how cheesy it actually is. great movie, bad effects.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I still remember that scene in the Indiana Jones movie where the guy is squished on a rock crusher and you see the blood coming around on the wheel. That scene has really stuck in my head. ;-)

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

which one was it where indie and some german are fighting, and the german gets hit by a airplane prop? that was great. when i worked on airplanes, i'd somtimes have to work on them with the engines running, that scene always flashed in my head.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

My all-time favorite movie. My oldest brother took me to see it when I was eight years old. Yes, the face-melting scene freaked me out, almost as much as the heart-ripping scene in the Temple of Doom.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I always wondered how just not looking at the Angel of Death would save someone. Is that like ducking under the covers to keep the boogie man in the closet?

Jeff

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Coolest!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit