JW-Values Anyone?

by JAVA 23 Replies latest jw friends

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

what about patience? we were always waiting for something.

even now, I have no problem standing in lines, or sitting in a waiting room.

I just look around, and try to read people's thoughts or listen in on their conversations.

lisa

• steve2
    steve2

To be fair, I have one sterling value from my JW past:

I cannot litter without a bad conscience.

• poppers
    poppers

"To be fair, I have one sterling value from my JW past:

I cannot litter without a bad conscience."

I'm glad I didn't have to be a dub to learn not to litter.

• JAVA
    JAVA

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I wondered if it was just me, or if others drew a blank on JW-values that has been a possitive influence in their life after exiting. I don't have much "patience" Lisa, but I'm pleased for you. However, I have a hunch that you have that quality with or without the JW history. :) Parakeet, your comment had me rolling with laughter. I went to college too, WTW, and the $ociety was right--Student loans are evil! Thanks again everyone.

• steve2
    steve2
    I'm glad I didn't have to be a dub to learn not to litter.

That's a bit of a low blow but point taken. Being raised in the religion, it can be kind of hard to separate out what I would have learned anyway and what was a distinctive Watchtower value.

• poppers
    poppers

"That's a bit of a low blow but point taken."

I'm glad you got the point - my comment wasn't meant as a put down, but as a reminder that all kinds of "good" values aren't the provence of any religion.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I really did learn not to litter.

To this day, nothing bothers me more than seeing someone litter.

• JAVA
    JAVA

Seeing someone litter bugs me about as much as watching JWs dragging themselves from door-to-door. As Steve2 and poppers points out, littering might not necessarily be a leftover JW value because many people have that value anyway. However, I'm certain the negative reaction I have when spotting JWs on the street is a result of being a former JW. Sometimes I feel sorry for them, and at other times I get ticked. I'm don't think this is a carryover "value," but more of a negative reaction.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I cant think of any positive value that I learned in the JW religion, that couldnt have been taught by another religion.

The only good thing I have been left with is a keen sense of identifying con artists and various schemes.

Im almost foolproof when it comes to that.

• ness
    ness

i don't think I've picked up on any values which i wouldn't have learnt anyway...but I think we do get some skills. in depth biblical knowledge and the ability to research (whether or not you see that as a good thing lol), interpersonal skills from having to talk to complete f'kin strangers at their houses...confident public speakers etc...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit