Do you suffer INTELLECTUAL STARVATION?

by Terry 91 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird
    We probably got Terry worried.

Terry? Worried? Nah! I'll bet he's into Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary right now thinking of how he can start the next brouhaha.

Snowbird

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Very flattering cog, but I do not wish to see myself that way, even if it were true. Ego and emotion can creep into logic and cloud judgement. Not that I don't have emotion of course, I'm not a robot either. Humility is the begining of wisdom which I value far more than intellect. This wisdom I hope will become more crystalized as I age.

My understandings in life, of the way I see things, come from being horrendously humiliated in public and at home. This created intense introspection for a long time. I am still not through with it. This board offers me a public redemption, in a manner of speaking, which cannot be equaled in the therapists office. I'm not a perfect guy and I can be nasty too, I still have demons. One thing, I am, is brutallly honest, and always have been, even towards my own detriment. There is always a certain amount of self loathing within me. I thank you for the nice comments on my avatar and although I don't know you, I will blow a kiss to my fellow Canuck!

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Lol, Snowbird. I think your right about Terry. I'm glad he has a sense of humour though. He seems sometimes like a fun guy to pick on. LOL! I knew about Terry long before I came to this board. Listened to all his amazing music too.

Yeah I had a trip to BC once. It's absolutly beautiful, but for me it was hell. Long story, but I hictch hiked it, through the Yellowhead trail and got very sick and ended up on the streets of Vancouver and various missions. Dam that's a good 3000 miles from here. Who knows someday with some coin, I may make another trek out there. The good thing about this board is anyone you get to know is a potential travel destiantion for the future.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Humility is the begining of wisdom which I value far more than intellect.

You said it, fellow person. Shalom.

Snowbird

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Humility is the begining of wisdom which I value far more than intellect. This wisdom I hope will become more crystalized as I age.

Yes, I agree. I don't believe the world is suffering from intellectual starvation. It is starving for the wisdom to know how to use our intellect in ways that benefit ourselves and society. I have no doubt you will grow in wisdom as you age. Because you can envision it, shows you are already on the path. What I despair of, just a little, is that society as a whole will grow and crystalize in wisdom.

My understandings in life, of the way I see things, come from being horrendously humiliated in public and at home. This created intense introspection for a long time.

I am sorry for this. I have noticed, though, that those who have suffered most, often tend to be most empathetic and compassionate to others. Humility is often born from pain.

I am still not through with it. This board offers me a public redemption, in a manner of speaking, which cannot be equaled in the therapists office.

Both can be useful. I believe in a multi-modal approach.

I'm not a perfect guy and I can be nasty too, I still have demons.

Don't we all! Still, I find the less we believe in the/our demons, the less power they have over us.

One thing, I am, is brutallly honest, and always have been, even towards my own detriment.

"Brutally honest" is a term my friends have used to describe me. I have to learn to temper with gentleness and kindness. I'm still a work in progress. What I have come to realize is that love and kindness are of more value than intellect. The Dalai Lama said, "My religion is kindness." That is what most people in the world are really starving for, I believe. Which sort of brings our little flirt back to the original topic of Terry's thread, doesn't it? Ahh, the circle of crap love is complete.

I will blow a kiss to my fellow Canuck!

Right back at ya baby!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hey, Tyrone, Cog and Snowbird - may I join in? Oh, hi Terry!

I am enjoying the repartee amongst you. Tyrone's evaluations caused me to recall Max Ehrmann's DESIDERATA of 1927. Below are some of the more applicable pearls of wisdom:

[ .... ]

Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen
    to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they
    too have their story...

If you compare yourself to others you may
    become vain or bitter, for always there will be
    greater and lesser persons than yourself...

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
    Keep interested in your own career however
    humble; it is a real possession in the changing
    fortunes of time...

And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the
    noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
    it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be
    happy.

The above words are real to me [I left out quite a bit] because you folks, in your pain, are saying essentially the same thing. Keep talking and writing and sharing your heart, soul and mind. It has proven to be my salvation, and not to fail to mention:

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be.

Love,

CoCo

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Hey CoCo

Sure you can join in. I'm all for the group Lov-in!

The first time I ever heard of the Desiderata was on this forum when someone posted the whole thing. I thought it was so beautiful, I printed off the entire thing and saved it.

So much better than the "Footprints" poem, eh Terry?

I think Terry has left the building!

Cog

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I think you nailed it cog. Kudos! All the knowledge in the world means nothing without the wisdom that proceeds with an even temperment. When I'm not in one of my bi polar moods, I try to veiw the world with a tear in my eye. I too am a work in progress and we are all at different stages in this journey. Kindness and understanding is greatly lacking and I don't know how people can obtain this consciousness on a mass scale without plugging a wet tap into someones brain and downloading it.

Through the great wars of our century, the common suffering of folks seemed to emit a collective consciousness that enabled governments to take in refugees, and help rebuild those devastated countries with the Marshall plan. The problem is, the public has a very short memory and the dynamics of our modern world continue to change. One language everyone understands for the most part is love. Words and knowledge are pure emptiness without a feeling of being connected to the rest of humanity.

That is why being shunned is just about equal to getting your soul murdered. Some people can take that experience and become a better person, and some can turn evil. I try not to judge though, as we all seem to have different breaking points and are driven by a different pilot. There is no room for evil in a global world and you nicely brought us back to the topic and what really matters. Put that dictionary down, and take it away Terry!

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Oh yes Coco, those are powerful words. I got my first copy of the disiderata when I was 30. Now thats the wisdom that sums it up! This is something to pass on to your child in a turbulent world. In short, theres no bullshit, it tells you what really matters and guides one through many hurdles in life without having to become a scholar. These principals can at least offer a way, to a path of lesser self torment. It doesn't judge you, or make you to spend your life reading anceint manuscripts to get to where someone else, thinks you should be. Universally applicable, and boiled down to simplicity, it is beautiful.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Well, I guess I have to answer yes by your definition

I just graduated from nursing school first in my class, and then realized that it's NOT what I really want to do with my life.I wanted to write and create art (both of which I'm not half bad at), but listened to a bunch of intellectuals who told me I could never be financially stable if I did so, and went to nursing school instead.

I've raised some pretty great kids, but one does have a tattoo and all of them have a penchant for learning about life the hard way instead of just taking my word for everything (but then I DID teach them to think for themselves and they are young and inexperienced, so I guess a visit to the school of hard knocks is bound to happen to them from time to time).Funny thing is, despite the body art and the occasional civil disobedience, everyone else thinks they are intelligent, wonderful young adults.

I just spent a week not too long ago with a bunch of multi-degreed intellectuals, and was disdainfully called a Bohemian serf because I was doing someone a favor by cleaning her house and weeding out her garden (which I LOVE to do).I just smiled and said "Thank you." I AM part Bohemian after all, and my ancestors WERE hard working serfs.Funny thing is, so is the person who made that comment.

Lately, I have an odd penchant for collecting religious icons and Mary statues. I've never been Catholic, don't want to become Catholic, and frankly, am not even religious anymore. So why I like my odd new hobby is beyond me.

Hmm, looks like I'm on the border of intellectual anorexia.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit