Was I too harsh?

by avishai 15 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai

I have a site wherein I have mentioned that I am having an apostofest at the burning man festival.

I recieved this letter re: the apostafest....

angry-at-the-society ex-jw's,
    or just chillin-doin-your-own-thing-now ex j-w's?

To which I replied:

I assume both!!! I have come to learn since leaving that folks have a right to either paradigm. For instance, the children who were brutally and continually abused in pretty much any and every fashion imaginable, and having the society cover it up, or those who had mates that beat them and were told not to go to the police, or the parents of children who died because they were'nt allowed to have vaccinations, only to have the society reverse this position, or those who were brutally beaten, raped, and murdered in Malawi and Mozambique for not affiliating w/ a political party, while at the same time in mexico the brothers were allowed to have almost identical cards. These are some examples that CAN make people bitter.
    I myself have been witness too, and subjected too a couple of these things.
    I choose to try not to be bitter. Anyone else, though, that's THEIR choice, and that's the great thing about being an XJW. You have choices. You can live and let live without hoping 99.9% of the population is going to die, because they're not "special" like God's chosen people. You don't have to choose between 1 family member who was DF'd 30 yrs. ago for smoking and who has since saved hundreds if not thousands of lives as a paramedic, and another, who while in good standing has HURT multiple folks as a JW, but, dang, well, he repented, even though he's STILL hurting people.
    So You are welcome to drop by! We don't practice shunning @ burning man.
    So, if you are one of the bitter ones, or the laid back ones, there's no reason to be afraid. We love ya no matter what!! ;)
  • bikerchic
    bikerchic

He,hee you did better than I would have.........cept that I would not have given a reply, why bother? LOL

Have fun at Burning Man that place is a zoo!

• eclipse
    eclipse

I thought it was a well written, passionate reply, Avishai

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Avishai,

Well said!

The mark of a mature person is one who becomes self-informed as to whom or what they choose to love and whom or what they they choose not to. No-one has the right to make that choice for us and this is what an adherent of the WTS, and other high control religions, struggle to contend with on an hourly basis.

HS

• Warlock
    Warlock

avishai,

Perfect reply.

Warlock

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Great response Avisha!

BTW, I miss your old avatar

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

My bad....yes it was well written and very informative and compassionate kudos to you for taking the time to reply. I'm such a slacker.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

That was perfect! Did he/she reply?

nj

• avishai
    avishai

Yep, she said thanks.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I thought it was a great reply too..

and so very true

Share this