I hugged my dad tonight...

by memario 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• memario
    memario

..... for the first time I can remember doing. I posted in "My Story" that my dad had never hugged me. When I really thought about it I decided it was time to do something about that.

We went for supper at my parents tonight. I saw alot of my dad in me before I "woke up". Now I know where I get my passive aggressiveness from, and I had to choke back tears. It was an emotional evening. I had to hold back all the feelings that were going through me, it just wasn't the right time to let them all out. Tonite brought me back to my childhood memories and feelings. Feelings of never being good enough, them never being proud of me or my accomplishments. I felt fear too, fear that one day, when they really realize how I feel about "the truth" that they won't talk to me again, even though our relationship is f$&ked up!

I have so much I want and need to tell them, it's just where and how do I start? It's hard to express feelings to them, they just don't seem to understand what "feelings" are.

So, back to the hug - my father usually only offers a handshake. Tonite I decided to just give him a hug instead. It wasn't a warm hug, but it was a start, it was all he was capable of right now. Each time I go and visit now, I'm going to hug him, maybe I can break through the "wall of ice", melt his heart abit with each hug.

Parents - go and hug your kids right now!

mem

• fedorE
    fedorE

Nice.

• chelsea
    chelsea

Go on and melt his heart...

• memario
    memario

I'm gonna try my damndest!! lol

mem

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

good job mario.

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly

((((Memario)))) The emotions you expressed in your post touched my heart Good for you for taking the first step to embrace your father! At times like this I wish I could say I will pray for your success, but I dont pray .. please accept my deepest wishes for you to deepen the relationship between you and your father/family.

LTF

• BFD
    BFD

Excellent. A little thing like a hug. Wow. Excellent.

BFD

• still_in74
    still_in74
    my father usually only offers a handshake. Tonite I decided to just give him a hug instead. It wasn't a warm hug, but it was a start,

i dont believe for a second that you didnt make him think. YOU MADE HIM THINK. Good for you. You should be proud of yourself. And no matter what happens in the future you will never forget that hug as long as you live and you will never regret it!!

This is one of the most beautiful posts I have read here. Thanks for sharing such a special moment with us. We are all smiling as we read this....well at least I am !!

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Good for you man. Let's hope it works, and that you will someday get through to him.

Peace.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I'm proud of you mem. That first step took a great deal of courage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit