The Prestige, and other movies JW's aren't supposed to like

by gaiagirl 16 Replies latest social entertainment

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I saw The Prestige recently, and was describing it to a JW I know. When he heard it was about two magicians, he immediately interrupted and said "I wouldn't be interested in a movie about magic". I explained that it is not about "magic" but about two magicians, i.e. stage performers who use sleight of hand to create an illusion. He just said something about "The Bible makes it clear that magic is not for Christians". So, I suppose he thinks that if someone pulls a rabbit out of a hat, beware, they probably are demonized.

• Gopher
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah I went to a magic show done by a Singaporean Christian family. The magic was mediocre but they were sure to get a Christian message into the show.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Are movies where someone has magical power just fantasy, or are they evil? That's the so-called dilemma facing JW's as they try to choose family-friendly entertainment. Wizard of Oz -- was that just a fantasy about a dream Dorothy had, or is it a bad movie because of the fantasy / magic involved?

How about time travel movies - like Time After Time or Back to the Future? We all know time travel is a magical fantasy. Should a JW avoid them because after all, if you can travel into the future you would be able to predict it, and only Jehovah has the power of prediction?

How about movies with church scenes - such as "Sound of Music"? If you expose your children to a favorable portrayal of Babylon the Great, they may be ruined for life!

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid -- this movie glorified law breakers!!

The list could go on and on.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

when i was a kid, i loved magic. i got in some real trouble for freaking some others out with a card trick. they told the elders i was demonized.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    i got in some real trouble for freaking some others out with a card trick.

C'mon bigdreaux, fess up! You were a closet spiritist !!

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

Wasn't there a movie out there with a little boy and his mom was a JW? That's about all I remember... if any of you remember the title, please let me know! I really wanna watch it!

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Wasn't there a movie out there with a little boy and his mom was a JW?

Collegegirl - was it "Perfect World" released in 1993? Plot summary: http://imdb.com/title/tt0107808/plotsummary

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

*SPOILER WARNING FOR ANYONE WHO HASN"T SEEN IT BUT PLANS TO*

The real magic in "The Prestige" was there being 2 Christian Bales. ♥
    I LOVE that movie ;-)
    It's weird how some witnesses are about magic. My dad is like that with "Harry Potter", but apparently he thinks "Star Wars" with all it's Dark side and the force and everything is OK, go figure. I think some of them make their own rules up as they go along.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

Thanks Gopher! I think I'm going to go and rent that!!!! Thanks again!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit