A warning would be fair

by greendawn 30 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• greendawn
    greendawn

Given the often devastating consequences of disassociation and disfellowshipping isn't it fair that those studying with the JWs should be explicitly warned about these precedures in advance so that they know where they walking into? So that they would be able to better judge whether they want to become JWs and potentially risk losing JW family and friends at some future time?

How many of you would get baptised into the cult if you really knew about the policies of DFing and shunning?

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

They would never "warn" people that they could loose all their JW friends and family if they get df'd, the dubs consider shunning a form of love.

• dobbie
    dobbie

Yes it would but it would be shooting themselves in the foot to do it as they'd have even less new recruits joining up! When i was finally told that you can be d'fd i was told it was only for smoking or fornication, even my then best friend last yr said you don't get df'd or d'ad for not believing or having blood!What?! I've seen this on forums as well where apologists have said jws only kick people out for committing fornication. (of course i don't mind that cos then it gives me a chance to put them all straight on the subject lol!)

Its like everything in the organisation, anything negative or that would make them look in a bad light gets glossed or covered over. It isn't fair but then when are they?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

How many ppl do you think get baptised without a clear understanding of what will happen if they break the rules?

I think it might happen rarely.

• carla
    carla

I've had this conversation with my jw numerous times! He claims the jw's do not shun it is the one who leaves who makes that decision when they leave jahs' blah, blah, blah, I've tried saying aside from who's fault it is don't you think people should be told upfront about the policy before they take the plunge or even have a study? Never got an answer on that one, time to change the subject.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

For converts I agree. Kids don't have a chance because many families shun the kids even if they are never baptized and just walk away. I always found it ironic that when a non-JW family member gives a JW family member grief over their religious choices, the JW talks about persecution. But, when a JW spouse decides they don't want to be a JW or a kid decides that's not the path for him/her, the pressure put on that person is often much more than a non-JW would ever subject a JW to. And, in many cases, whole families break up over a JWs choice to not be a JW. It really makes no sense. Nice double standard!

• Apostate Kate2
    Apostate Kate2

This is my mother's number one regret. She says if she had known the whole real truth about how they treat you, disfellowshipping practices, she never would have joined. My mom is not a stupid person. She was outright lied to and the truth deliberatly hidden. By the time you do find out the truth you are hooked.

• Gopher
    Gopher

"Truth in advertising" laws do not apply to religion.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The JWs obviously will not point out the trouble a convert can endure through the shunning policy but I think one day the governments around the world should take a tougher stand on cults and force them by law to inform a potential convert of such an outcome.

I know they will cry this is an intrusion into their religious freedom but see how they themselves intrude into people's freedoms.

I doubt whether most converts comprehend this issue especially those that didn't grow as JWs or realise the large number of issues that could see them ostracised and shunned, even silly things like celebrating birthdays or wearing a cross. This is org is quite trigger happy when it comes to expelling members.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

They would never warn anyone, it would decrease their numbers.

But I didn't even want to get baptized in the first place. I only got baptized cause my parents pretty much told me that I should.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit