Are you an a-xenist?

by AuldSoul 72 Replies latest jw friends

• JK666
    JK666

I've thought about becoming a Raelian just to pi$$ people off.

JK

• eclipse
    eclipse

Thank you for sharing that article, Terry.

I have two questions:

A third possibility is that there is a reasonable probability for life to form, and to evolve to intelligent beings, in the external transmission phase. But at that point, the system becomes unstable, and the intelligent life destroys itself.

Why did he make that statement? (Not that you can read his mind, I am just asking for your opinion. Or unless you know because you have read his books and I have not.)

What evidence does he base that statement on?

It sounds more like conjecture than a reasonable hypothesis...but that is just my uneducated viewpoint.

• heathen
    heathen
    A third possibility is that there is a reasonable probability for life to form, and to evolve to intelligent beings, in the external transmission phase. But at that point, the system becomes unstable, and the intelligent life destroys itself. This would be a very pessimistic conclusion.

I love this part .LMAO It's apparent what define as intelligent on our own planet seems bent on the destruction of the planet we live on over very primal urges . They were willing to destroy the planet over political ideals even. Intelligence and wisdom seem like two very distinct characteristics that seldom have anything to do with each other. .............. did I just say that ...... that stephen hawkins always messes with my head ...................

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I prefer a fourth possibility: there are other forms of intelligent life out there, but that we have been overlooked.

It appears that Steven Hawkings is in agreement with my thoughts, thanks Terry.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Hey Terry,

>>There is only one Earth with exactly what Earth has or had at a particular time in a particular way.

What's your basis for that statement? And how are you defining "unique"? For instance, I could draw a scribble on a piece of paper and it could be totally unique in the universe. But it could also be considered just another scribble.

I'd grant that earth is unique in the same sense as my scribble. But is it unique in ways that matter for forming life? If you're arguing that we can't know whether it is or it isn't, then I agree with you.

>>The fact that there are billions of similar (not identical) planets is not enough.

If you found a coin that you'd never seen before, would you assume it was the only one on the planet? If you decided to test your assumption, would you consider it sufficient to scour a 10-foot square patch of land? The fact that we haven't found life anywhere else we've looked is meaningless, since we've only looked in a few places, and our ability to look there is still pretty weak.

>>If the Earth were closer or farther from our Sun there could be no life. Our placement is unique.

I seriously doubt this one. Life exists on our planet in all sorts of temperatures and environments. I wouldn't venture a guess on how far it could be shifted and life still be viable, but there is certainly a range.

>>The difference between the POTENTIAL for life elsewhere has nothing to do with the ACTUAL probability of life happening.

I'm not sure I can agree with this. If the potential is there, doesn't it automatically raise the probability? Having potential raises it from impossible, to possible. However the underlying question is "Does the potential exist?" and without knowledge of how life arose spontaneously (if it did at all), we can't say with certainty that the potential exists.

Dave

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

I am sure there are aliens, but I am not sure they are actually intelligent.

After all, they never obduct Elle mcpherson from her hotel room, its usually

toothless trailer park Betty, to give her an anal probe and breed hybrids.

though being toothless themselves...perhaps she does look good to them?

• proplog2
    proplog2

This subject comes up with a farily regular frequency.

Once again I submit my experience

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/18868/1.ashx/1.ashx

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Thanks, all!

I have been reading and considering every single reply. So far, I think my views match Abaddon's fairly closely.

Jeffro,

"apathy" is a lack of pathos. I don't think "lack of belief" is loaded language, at all. Either people believe something, or they are open to the idea of believing on sufficient evidence, or they don't believe it. The latter two would lack belief.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Terry
    Terry
    >>The difference between the POTENTIAL for life elsewhere has nothing to do with the ACTUAL probability of life happening.

I'm not sure I can agree with this. If the potential is there, doesn't it automatically raise the probability? Having potential raises it from impossible, to possible.

How many of YOU are there in the Universe? You are completely unique.

What is the liklihood that another one of YOU will be born on Earth or anywhere else?

Is there a probability you wish to assign? Is it even potentially possible?

Your answer will reflect on your ability to understand what UNIQUE really means.

A deliberate effort to clone you would have to be made for there to exist a potential. Outside of the deliberate effort to clone the probability is nil.

Why?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>How many of YOU are there in the Universe? You are completely unique.

You're not the first person to tell me this. ;-)

>>What is the liklihood that another one of YOU will be born on Earth or anywhere else?

We're back to the question of unique, and to what extent it applies to the question of life. For instance, I am unique, but there aren't many unique things about me. Just because I'm unique doesn't mean another human male couldn't fill most if not all of the roles I've played.

Likewise, another planet with similar conditions to our own might be able to spark life, just as ours did. The question isn't about uniqueness in general, but what specifically about the earth allowed life to form. Since we don't know whether or not it even DID form here, it does get a bit fuzzy. It certainly can't be spoken of in absolutes.

Starting from the presupposition that life started here -- with only the "well, how else did it get here?" idea as "evidence" -- I am left with the conclusion that it likely could happen elsewhere.

I haven't been able to get yet where you stand on this. Do you feel that there is a great likelihood that earth is unique in the universe in supporting life? Or that there is too little information on which to base a statement of likelihood? Or some third option?

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit