"Crystal Blue Persuasion" -- Is it really about the "Truth" Book?

by B_Deserter 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Crystal Blue Persuasion Lyrics

Look over yonder what do you see
    The sun is a-risin' most definitely
    A new day is comin' people are changin'
    Ain't it beautiful crystal blue persuasion

Better get ready gonna see the light
    Love, love is the answer and that's all right
    So don't you give up now so easy to find
    Just look to your soul and open your mind

Crystal blue persuasion, mm-hmm
    It's a new vibration
    Crystal blue persuasion, crystal
    Blue persuasion
    Maybe tomorrow when He looks down
    Every green field and every town
    All of his children every nation
    There'll be peace and good brotherhood

Well, what do think? green fields, brotherhood maybe? but "Look to your soul and open your mind" - No I don't think so. It might be some other blue crystals that he looked to

Anyway the song was recorded in 1969. The Truth book was released in 1968 . That is pushing it for time.

• erandir
    erandir

Ok...let's weigh the evidence:

First, from an above embedded page...some hearsay:

A couple years ago Tommy James website had a question and answer section moderated by his Manager. One of the questions was regarding where he got the idea for his song Crystal Blue Persuasion and whether he got the idea from reading a blue book. His manager explained (I read it myself on his official website) that in the late sixties Tommy became a Born-Again Christian and that he did a lot of Bible reading. He was inspired by his reading of the book of Ezekiel where it speaks of the Blue Shekinah Light which represented the presence of the Almighty God and the Books of Isaiah and Revelation where it speaks of a bright future of a brotherhood of mankind living in peace and harmony. This is where he got his idea from. Not from a book, not from a church. This is the fact. The SongFact.

Second, from an overly adamant know-it-all book study overseer who is full of himself. He insisted and kept telling people over and over...even at our book study while conducting it and also out in field service, that it was a FACT that James wrote the song based on the blue-covered "Truth" book.

Ok...evidence is in...let's do the analysis.

I'm gonna have to go with the book study overseer. His repetition for emphasis really proves the point. The more it is said, the more it must be true, right? Also, as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, he must know what he's talking about because he came into the "truth" from that book...and it did have the blue cover. And it was persuasive. So persuasive that he has said on repeated occasions: "I'm gonna give this truth business all I've got because if it isn't the truth, then what else is there? Where else will I go?" He became a witness because it was his last resort? He settled for this? Wow...now that's the kind of elder we want shepherding the flock. And remember the b.s. (that doesn't stand for bible study, kids) from the Reasoning book, if you want to know the "truth" about all-things-witness, you should go right to the source and ask a witness...don't trust worldly or apostate sources that don't know firsthand.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I never heard about the connection. I sold a lot of the blue bombs in the late 60s and early 70s. Never related to the song

• sinis

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit