"Crystal Blue Persuasion" -- Is it really about the "Truth" Book?

by B_Deserter 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I haven't been able to find a definite source online. Can anyone confirm/deny this? All my life I was taught that this song was about the blue "truth" book that was being used to bring people into the witnesses in the late 60's/early 70's. Now that I don't blindly accept whatever I've been told, I'm having my doubts. Is it really about the witnesses or is it just more JW folklore like demons in garage sale coffee cups and threatening Circuit Overseers in barbershops?

• Arthur
    Arthur

I have never been able to find anything to substantiate it either. My personal opinion is that it is just like the other urban JW legends. Another such rumor that spread among the ranks was regarding a song written and performed by the group Super Tramp. The rumor was that the guy who wrote it was describing his experience with a JW couple who was calling on him. I don't know if it was true or not. But given the track record of all of the other JW rumors and legends, I am very reluctant to believe it.

• eclipse
    eclipse

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1884

Here is a discussion on this very topic.

• Open mind
    Open mind

I'm sure it's just as true as "The NWT is the most accurate Bible. Jeopardy said so."

I've heard the Crystal Blue Persuasion JW urban legend for many years. Sorry I can't absolutely disprove it, but it definitely has the stench of Urban Legend.

Open Mind

• choosing life
    choosing life

The site Eclipse gave said the song was inspired by his reading of the Bible, not the truth book. I heard this legend years ago, actually never knew for sure if it was true.

Just like the jws to take credit for inspiration from the Bible.

• eclipse
    eclipse

One person says it's about meth. very last comment, I found it interesting.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

I was there when both the Truth book and the song debuted born 1957 and this is the first I heard of it,went out every week with the blue book

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

On it's face, the idea is unlikely. The book itself wasn't "crystal blue". It also didn't teach anything that would inspire the lyrics "Maybe tomorrow when He looks down ... There'll be peace and good brotherhood".

But I didn't see anything that would definitely shoot it down, either.

Dave

• changeling
    changeling

Never heard that one before.

changeling

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Is the song "Puff the Magic Dragon" about drug taking

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit