Anyone know about guitars and amps? help?

by IP_SEC 17 Replies latest jw friends

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Crate GLX212

ESP LTD 607B EMG Humbucks.

Low volume across the board. Even clean without distortion, Im getting distortion.

Battery test 9v.... umm

Any idears what might be wrong with it? This just started all of the sudden.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Oh and same problem on all pickups

• KW13
    KW13

Really i haven't got any idea at all, but (and this isnt a big chance either) there is a guy who does sound at the local church and they use guitars etc If you want i can email him for you, just PM me what the whole thing is and what equipment your using. IF you hear nothing, its cos we can't work it out.

Take care mate.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think since you have battery activated or boosted pickups your battery is bad or your connection is loose from the battery to the pick up. The easiest thing to do is to put a new battery in and go from there. If one of my guitars with battery pickups has a bad battery it acts as you describe. You said the battery test ok. I guess you have some kind of battery tester. If you trust the battery is ok, and you can rule out the amp then you must have a short from the battey to the pick up or the pick up to the pots.

Outside chance the connnection where you plug the chord into the guitar is loose.

Do you have a microphone you can plug into the crate to see if the amp is not to blame.

Or take your guitar to a music store and ask to try out an amp. If your guitar still acts the same the amp is ok and its your battery or connection.

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

IP_SEC, It could be the amp or the guitar.

Try plugging another guitar into the amp. If it still exhibits the same behavior, it's your amp. If not, its the guitar.

Did you get the guitar and amp locally? Are they still under warranty?

Wish I was there, I could sort it out in minutes . . If it's the guitar it's most likely just a loose wire or broken solder connection. There really isn't much that can go wrong with a guitar. . If its the amp, it needs to go to an amp tech.

I do some guitar tech work part time. All my amps are tube amps, nothing ever goes wrong with them hat a tube swap or wiggle can't fix.

Keep us guitar geeks posted on what the problem is . . .

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

And what Jaguarbass said. I missed the fact that the ESP has an active circuit. It's probably just a dead battery or a loose wire. A nine volt can read 9V on a volt meter but not have enough current to light up that active circuit. Try a new battery first.

• freedomloverr
    freedomloverr

get in touch with ITIS.

he knows all there is to know about this subject....

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59
    Back many moons ago when I used EMG active pickups, if the battery was weak at all, this the sound I'd get. However I also must say that SS Crate amps usually find their way to the junk yard sooner or later.

May I recommend a different guitar and amp all together? Perhaps a used Epi Les Paul or a used Mexican strat into a like a used tube amp??? Much simpler set up, more reliable setup and it'll sound better too. I know everyone starts somewhere, but after a while its always time to upgrade. I've been through more gear than I care to mention, but have finally settled on Victoria amps, Heritage guitars for straight playing and Danelectros for slide

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Put a BRAND-NEW, fresh, 9V battery in there. Then see where you are.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Ok thanks yall I'll take another look at the batt and batt wiring.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit