Ahhhh yes ... those wonderful "quick-builds"

by Frequent_Fader_Miles 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

They were boring as hell for me. All I ever did was stand around with nothing to do for a few hours, then I went home.

• ronin1
    ronin1

I was on the quick build assignments for ten years and I actually liked it.

I learned to do sheet rock, HVAC installations and insulations, and steel studding. So I enjoyed myself.

It was a break from the regular office 'white collar' job I did during the regular work week.

Ronin1

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

i got pissed one time on a quick build. they had me painting. i told the guy i hated painting and wasn't good at it. then, i got a lecture about doing what was asked of me. fine, i'll F@#*ING PAINT!!! so, i'm painting in the c.o.'s "apartment" for lack of a better word. they had made an apartment for him in this k.h. so, i'm painting, getting the crap EVERYWHERE!!!! the guy comes in, and yells at me. i threw the brush down and said, I TOLD YOU I WAS BAD AT THIS!!!!!! p.s. i'm not really that bad at painting, i just hate it, and was pissed. at 15 years old, that was the best rebellious thing i could think of.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I was accused of being 'rebellious' for suggesting that the congregation build a large hall to accomodate all the JW's moving into our 'little piece of paradise in the mountains of Tennessee' when the RBC presented us with different 'suggested' plans of kingdom halls.

3 years later, I took my daughter to help out at the 'remodel' when the brothas decided that the hall was not large enough and they had to do an add-on.

That was the last time I set foot on the property except for one last 'memorial' in 2004.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I tripped and fell on a gravel hill and have a scar on my right knee from the QB for my grandma's KH. My only physical scar from being a JW. The rest are all emotional I did love that we could wear jeans to the Sunday meeting.

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

Good times, good times. Working full-time and taking care of my seven-year old while my part-time working elder husband spent every freaking spare moment "down at the site" on the building committee. The other elders LOVED it because he had all this "free" time so they always loaded him up with assignments. Stupid git just got a big head and thought how impressed with him they were! Another fine example of the high standard of intelligence among elders, my soon to be ex!

brunn

• carla
    carla

What is the point of being quick? Big deal, the Amish do quick barn raising too. We go by two very large churches in construction (mega type?) I always wonder what my jw thinks. These two different churches are probably less than two miles apart or so, they went up pretty quick considering their size. Last time we went by there was a vacation bible school going on. The very large yard was FILLED with kids running around, looked like they were having fun. All in shorts & t-shirts and tank tops! Teens were there in charge of the games. Never see anything like that at a kh! The parking lots are enormous. I notice the few kh's I see new or old are about the same size and parking lots are all the same too. Not worried about growth?

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

the power of the termite hive mind is impressive....

I do recall my first quick built...it was really a remake of a grocery store into a double kingdom hall in Montclair NJ...

It was winter and they had a propane heater...inside the building.

suddenly I felt nauseaous and my hearing cut out... I knew something was very wrong.

I think I got outside just before my legs gave out.

• 5go
    5go

This was a thing that woke me up too

Quick built aren't that quick in fact they are slow for what they are a big box. In the comercial building field some thing like a kingdom hall takes hours not days to finish all the way, minus the foundation. Also, they tend to be built flawed because of all the amatuers used to build them.

I fact one thing that got me was how unsafe the Rosenberg Assembly Hall was being built. I was a teenager then, and noticed it; so it was bad. Kids were being used at the begining of the project. When they should of been banned from the site period.

Sadly, some poor hispanic brother ( not a youngster thankfully ) paid for the lax safety with his life.

• helncon
    helncon

I never really did anything while there though, come to think of it what did i do????????

Hey. Those of us working needed people to trip over.

You played an important role in the process.

LOL!

Yeah i guess so,

Though i do remember one of my last QB i was helping out in a makeshift day care. That was fun

But other than that it was just to get away

Helen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit