Ahhhh yes ... those wonderful "quick-builds"

by Frequent_Fader_Miles 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

Just reminiscing a little on all the "quick-build" assignments I supported in the past. As a young JW, all in all they weren't all that bad. They gave me a chance to get out and meet new people, but what bothered me was all the "meal assignments" my congo got. Apparently those so-called "meal assignments" were a means for different congregations to outshine each other by providing the most lavish meals. (seems like our congo was the one that set the bar) Then things snowballed even further when some "brothers" volunteered for the "work assignments" depending on which congo was providing meals. The whole "meal assignment" thing then became a burden on congregation members who were of modest means ... only extravagant contributions need volunteer.

What was your "quick-build" experience?

• helncon
    helncon

This is one thing i enjoyed doing.

It got me out of the local area.

I enjoyed that it got me some time with my dad.

I made some great friends over the years and got to see the other side of the JWs.

I never really did anything while there though, come to think of it what did i do????????

Helen

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I never really did anything while there though, come to think of it what did i do????????

Hey. Those of us working needed people to trip over.

You played an important role in the process.

LOL!

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Quick builds were actually another thing that made me question the wisdom of those in charge. There were a lot of uneeded quickbuilds IMO, even with our congregation the old hall was perfectly fine with plenty of capacity, and yet for some reason we needed a new hall. During the course of several years it seemed that every congregation in the region was building a new hall, it was the thing to do. The whole thing still boggles me.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I'm happy to say I've never had the displeasure to be involved with quick-builds

nj

• Hermano
    Hermano

I loved the quick builds. I got an opportunity to check out the sisters, and I got to do physically demanding work which is not at all like what I do for a living.

The last quick build i participated in, I got a blister on my hand and one of the brothers recommended I go to first aid to get a band aid to cover it up. So i go get my band aid, and there's this sister there who demands to see my blood card. (By this time I was starting to have doubts, so I didn't carry the blood card with me.) She gave me a lecture about how I should always carry my blood card. I didnt say anything to her but I was pissed!!! Shouldn't that be a matter between myself and Jehovah???

Anyway, that's one of the things that led me to google Jehovah's Witnesses and led me to find out the truth about The Scam.

• Blindbutnowisee
    Blindbutnowisee

I am curious why would she need to see your blood card? You only needed a bandaid for your blister, its not like you were about to have major surgery.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Letter from my niece last week:

"We had trailers hauled in for the food service, talk about efficient! ... Many of our local sisters volunteered for the food service and we spent hours scrubbing and washing. It was amazing how many sisters are a part of the mobile construction team; you would see them on the roof working as hard as any brother! Only in Jehovah's organization will you find too many volunteers and too much food!"

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Letter from my niece last week:

"We had trailers hauled in for the food service, talk about efficient! ... Many of our local sisters volunteered for the food service and we spent hours scrubbing and washing. It was amazing how many sisters are a part of the mobile construction team; you would see them on the roof working as hard as any brother! Only in Jehovah's organization will you find too many volunteers and too much food!"

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower
    I am curious why would she need to see your blood card?

CONTROL.. First aid was another check in the checks and balances of the control system. If you went there for treatment, they always checked the Medical Directive No Blood Card and had you sign a form saying that you would not hold the Watchtower Publishing Corporation or the Local Yokels liable for said medical treatment.

In the RBC I was in, and I am fairly certain this was a Borg directive at the time nationwide, when a volunteer checked in (at least for the regional volunteers, maybe not the local congo), in addition to verifying all of your application information, a person was asked to see their card in case of an emergency. All of the application information was also in the volunteer database that was printed out in a binder for the volunteer service overseer. (I had direct access so it was easy to see which sister was single and how old they were and what congo...little good it did me...all the singles were either too waaaay old or waaaay too young or waaay too crazy...those in my age range were quickly married.)

Maybe it was a good thing to have the emergency contact information in case you burnt your mouth on the 5th cup of hot coffee, food poisoning from the mostaccoli, or got a paper cut from the plate requiring major surgery, but the whole blood issued is a personal matter IMO, but not according to the GB/Borg.

SnakesInTheTower (of the "not wasting my time with QB anymore" Sheep Class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit