left 16yrs ago n still have issues and confidence probs,

by xnmad 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

These issues are quite normal. The longer you have been in, and especially for those born in it, the more they have shredded your circle of friends outside the organization. They program train you to equate confidence with acceptance by those within the Tower ("Why should they seek friendship with this wicked world that's doomed anyway?"). They push doing ever more as a yardstick for worthiness, and anyone that breaks the rules or isn't doing "enough" is given those guilt trips and intentionally made to feel like "swine that has returned to rolling in the mud" and "dogs that have returned to the vomit".

This doesn't always go away in a few months. And this is especially so if one has family in the Tower (and they push and hound everyone to get their whole families in, so if one leaves, that one is going to have a harder time than if they had not joined). Those with families in are likely to have problems in this area for life, or until their whole family is out and not going back (whichever comes first).

And there are other areas that they entwine your life with the religion. Many work for other Witlesses in cleaning businesses. Others have landlords that are Witlesses. If one person messes up or quits the religion, that is going to affect their work situation as well. And with no education beyond the basics, they are going to have a miserable time trying to find another job. Many do go back to college, but catching up is still not always possible. Usually, in landlord or employer situations, the time between the disfellowshipping and the time that they have to leave the apartment/room or the job is usually extremely short, adding further to the hardship.

Problems with confidence associated with the religion are normal, also. They train people for one thing only: to be God machines that think of nothing but how effective they are at spreading the virus to others. And when they fall short, they find that success in other areas in life is not forthcoming because they have not been trained for it. This is worst in people that have been raised in it, and worst if the parents are strict in the religion. And it can persist for a person's whole life: the Tower wants it that way to get people who have messed up or left to return.

My advice is not to fall for their illusions, non sequitors, and guilt trips that they are probably using to get you back in. Going out and getting a college degree will help--even if you can't afford a whole degree, taking a few courses is better than nothing at all. Preferably, you will take courses that will help you get a better job. However, the main objective here is to get something you can measure yourself by other than the Watchtower Society's standards.

And one such yardstick is how much value you can create. This might seem tough, but every time you post something on this forum, you are helping to create something of value in keeping others from falling for the scam. Even the most trivial thing you create of value adds something. And if it's something you truly enjoy, you will have fun, create some value, and gain more confidence. No matter what, anything is better than what you had been doing--and better than what you would do if you ever went back to that puke.

• BFD
    BFD

Welcome, xnmad! Many here can relate. Stick around, read and post. This is a great place to get needed support.

BFD

• poppers
    poppers

Keep coming here, you'll find plenty of support and approval.

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly

Welcome to the forum xnmad

You will find we all very much relate to your issues of personal loss due to leaving, it truly does get better though, although the process varies with each individual.

There are few in our daily lives who can truly understand where we are coming from in regards to our experiences within the organization, and the emotional fallout from leaving. Here you will find amazing support in any way you need it, as every experience you have had, someone here has experienced the same.

Once again, "Welcome", I am happy you have found a place to complete the healing process of leaving.

LTF

• joelbear69
    joelbear69

the need for approval as almost destroyed me several times in my life.

i guess all you can do is keep taking it one day at a time and try to

find people who you can help and who can help you.

• RebelWife
    RebelWife

I never had anything to do with the jw-ism until I married a walk-away, so somebody smack me if I'm out of line. One of my parents was a malignant narcissist, and since the society/organization (whatever) is malignantly narcissistic, I see similarities. My family was lost to me during periods of shunning. I decided that I was the only person whose approval really mattered. I know what I am, and there is nothing wrong with me. If they can't or won't see that, it's their loss. I will never have even a semi-normal relationship with my parents -- the narcissist is dead and the other is senile. I have other people who give so much more than they ever did.

• RebelWife
    RebelWife

Ooops. Do YOU like who you are? What qualities do you admire in people? Do you have those qualities? Be honest with yourself. It's easy to discount yourself, so think about what people you respect think of you. Sometimes it's kind of cool to see how people who don't know you at all (and don't have any kind of agenda) react to you. This should be a great place for you here.

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

Again welcome to the board !!! I understand how you feel. I left the borg 30 years ago and for all that time try to have my father and mother's approval and a relationship with them. I even attempted to make meetings a few years ago to get back in to keep a close relationship with them. Boy was I a unhappy camper!! My wife has been a great support along with a few friends. I can still visit my parents , but they will not initiate any contact with my wife and I, unless to tell me of a death in the family or any other family matter. This puts me in the blues sometime , but I think of positive things I can be doing and I lift myself up and go. Prayer definitely goes a long way as well!! I was never much for prayers , but now , wow it helps in more ways that you can imagine!Anyway we're(the board) there for you bro.

• unique1
    unique1

I saw a psychologist. I recommend you do the same. It has really helped me. Psychologists can not prescribe drugs so, the truly work you through the problem, instead of just throwing pills at it.

• lesterd
    lesterd

We are all being so nice here...Its called brain washing, they put that drip, drip , drip on your forhead till your conditioned to need it, and when you trun it off, what happens? You can live without it. It has created and filled your life and when its gone it seems like there is nothing left and everyone asks,"so where will I go?". So look at it this way, youve cleaned house and its empty, ready to be fill with new things, things you like and can have fun with and grow with. You got out of the mess, that took a lot of strength, believe it or not that was the hard part, Find out who you are and what you need out of life and get truckin on your new life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit