Alternate dates

by wherehasmyhairgone 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wherehasmyhairgone
    wherehasmyhairgone

I am wondering as the WTS is so keen on making 'times and half a time' apply to this and that scripture, I am wondering if anyone else has had the energy need to use 'biblical supposed prophecy times that are completely different, like 607 dogma, can it be made different to arrive at a point in history that could be claimed similar calamities.

I am not sure how clear i am making myself.

Has anyone used dating within the bible to arrive at dates about the end of the world or Armageddon before the 20th century. and references would be great.

Steve

• garybuss
    garybuss

This is numerology. All numerologists use numbers. Witnesses are odd if not unique in that they combine numerology with the hypothesis of the types and the anti-types. The other interesting thing about the Witnesses is that they only apply numerology and the type-anti-type formula to the Jewish and Greek Bibles but not to other antique books or to antique literature from other cultures such as Egyptian or Chinese.

nu-mer-ol-o-gy (numerology) noun
    The study of the occult meanings of numbers and their supposed influence on human life.

Another interesting point about the Witnesses is that they only use literature as their starting point but exclude all other arts and all other elements on the planet. They've managed to take religion to a new low and they are digging.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The point is that their interpretations are arbitrary and more like an occultic demonic art rather than serious scholarship. Whatever dates they get through these process are bound to be meaningless and to be used to somehow further their interests eg to entice and exploit unaware victims. The JWs proved very good at this.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Just read the 19th century Adventist literature (as well as the millenarians before them). They've all interpreted the numbers in a myriad of ways to come up with many other intelligible dates. Check out the date 1799 for the beginning of the time of the end that Russell and the Adventists before him used. They believed that this date corresponded with an actual visible fulfillment (pertaining to the French Revolution and Napoleon). They made other dates correspond to events like the Fall of Constantinople, various historical earthquakes, the building of the Islamic mosque on the Temple Mount, etc. etc.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Blame it on PBS...it was the beginning of the end for me.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/apocalypse/

Many, many "viable" predictions for the end throughout the centuries...all with very "convincing" numerical calculations.

• wherehasmyhairgone
    wherehasmyhairgone
    They've all interpreted the numbers in a myriad of ways to come up with many other intelligible dates. Check out the date 1799 for the beginning of the time of the end that Russell and the Adventists before him used

Thats some great information , thanks. It certainly gives me a starting point.

regards

steve

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have done a comparison of the Revelation and Daniel prophecies at http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/revelation.htm

It is not exactly what you are asking, but it does show how the WTS mix and matches methods when trying to work out prophecy. That is why the Daniel 1260 days, etc etc had applications in the 1800s under Russell and the 1900s now.

There is also information at http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/1914.htm that shows Miller used the seven times to "prove" that the Gentile times ended in 1873.

• voltaire
    voltaire

A friend and I used to do this a lot when we were young. We would start with a date and then add/subtract Biblical numbers to find the date of the end. We were just having fun. !914 + 40 years the Jews spent in the wilderness, + 33 years for Jesus' lifespan +12 apostles + 8 cities of refuge=2007. There you have, the end's coming this year for sure. Sad thing is,the WTS calculations aren't much more sophisticated than a couple of teenagers joking around.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit