JWs and Chaperones

by keyser soze 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

This reminds of an old spinser-sister who lived at Bethel in a Scandinavian country. She was never married, and had been serving at the HQs for decades... She even became a centenarian, her picture in the local newspaper. She was rather strict about the rules. So even when she was approaching a 100 years old, she was adament that brothers who visited her room left the door open ;-) The story was told by a bethelite with affection and humour.

• Open mind
    Open mind

At our K Hall the sound mixing equipment is on one side of the hall between rows of seats. That way there are seats with easy access to the sound box. We used to have a Wanna-Be Circuit Overseer (WBCO) and his wife in our congo. Sometimes WBCO would end up running the sound box. If he also happened to have a talk, he would ask another brother to run the box while WBCO gave his talk. (Can't have his chromosomaly challenged spouse do that. You know, headship principle and all that.) Now WBCO's spouse could have just slid over one seat in order to maintain proper anal-retentive Victorian decorum during WBCO's talk. We'll call it the "Chastity Seat" just for chuckles. But was that good enough? Noooooo. One open seat between her and the brother filling in apparently wasn't enough.

She would get up and either go to the bathroom (and stay in there) or, if the talk was too long, she'd go sit somewhere else in the K Hell while WBCO gave his part. Can't have anyone thinking she was "sitting with" someone she's not married to, even though there's a frikkin' SPARE SEAT BETWEEN THEM!! This happened on many occasions, not just a coincidence. Give me a break!!

Open Mind

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

so so silly, it shouldn't be up to them to decide which family members you can be alone with. How Fucking stupid!!

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    I am just curious as to what your brother said when he came home and found out you were forced to hide in the bathroom.

He actually found it rather amusing.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think it's time for me to barge in on the Governing Body for some real "new light" on having people of the opposite sex together. First, let's get together and provide real educations so that people can create a real cure for all STD's including AIDS and herpes. Next, we will outdate the whole law against fornication. Doing that should allow the sexes to mix without all this spying and needless wasted efforts and having to hide an opposite-sex sibling or parent in the closet when the hounders show up.

Also, that will eliminate the needless discussions about how far the couple went. Since it will no longer matter, a lot of those stupid judicial hearings that last several hours will not be needed. A lot of time will be freed up for other things. Of course, there will be no rules against oral sex so no one will need to invade privacy in marital relations. In case of someone getting raped, the person that is raped will be totally off the hook since there will be no law against fornication. No more having to scream or pretend to not enjoy it.

This will leave only one rule. That has to do with the initiation of force, coercion, or fraud against another person. And I bet most of the pedophiles lurking within the congregation, if not all of them, could get nailed hard on that one since they initiate coercion against the child to get the sex (and often, force as well). That rule change alone ought to save them about 50% of the time and paper, about 50% of the rules (all the ones designed to derail opposite-sex couples from getting together would be out of date), and about 50% of the child abuse situations (the other half has to do with the taking away the fun, keeping them from extra-curricular activities and holidays, and having them out in service all day when they should be playing). I think that change alone would significantly ease the burden for the Witlesses.

Of course, that would only be the start. But that rule alone would have the biggest impact of any single change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit