JWs and Chaperones

by keyser soze 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    So if she was your blood related sister would they still say the same thing?

I've been told that this is to be avoided, too, because neighbors may not know of the blood relation and could start thinking that she was alone with a man who was not her husband. A few years before my fade, I was friends with a witness couple that moved about 4 hours away and I would visit them about every 6 or 8 weeks. We were good friends at the time and occaisionally took vacations together. Suddenly on one visit I was told to go to a neighbor's house when I arrived because the 'sister' may still be working and it would be awkward if the 'brother' and I were home alone - even if just for 10 or 15 minutes. This was odd because we'd been good friends for so long and seemed comfortable in each others homes. I complied but felt stupid and uncomfortable waiting at a strangers home with the 'brother' while waiting for his wife to arrive. I asked her if *she* herself was at all uncomfortable with him and me being alone. No, not at all. It was his concern about the appearance to the neighbors. My friendship with them started to fade soon after that. Foolish. -Aude.

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

For the Witness cult, it is all about appearances and not about the convictions and true spirituality.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

You're right truthsearcher

• unique1
    unique1

Is she overreacting? After the similar experience I would say no. However, I wouldn't have made you hide. If they said it was in appropriate I would have responded, well her husband, my brother doesn't think so. He told me to be here at 4:30 and he is running a little late. If you have an issue with me waiting for my brother then that is your problem, time and unforseen occurences befall us all. Then again, she may not be one for confrontation.

I am just curious as to what your brother said when he came home and found out you were forced to hide in the bathroom.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

One problem I had with that religion is that half of the rules and "reminders" are intended to prevent that all-nasty fornication. They work back from there to keep the sexes apart at all times. Everything about the way they do service keeps them apart. Visits between people of the opposite sex, even among relatives, are viewed on as suspicious (I don't think many of them would actually be doing incest). They take extreme pains to avoid even the appearance of a couple of people that are mixed sexes. And yet they will not think anything of a pedophile being alone with a child.

What else they don't think of is homosexuals. Is it possible that they are setting people up to become gay, at least on an opportunisitc basis, by depriving them of the opposite sex? Having them work together in service on a regular basis can do that, as can making them carry on a regular "privilege" together, studying, or some of those assist programs where the people are always the same sex as the ones that are helping. This is fairly common in the military as well, but there is a difference. In the military, they do not discriminate against gays. The Witlesses do, and yet they seem to be doing all they can to create homosexuality problems. And yet, even with half the material designed to disrupt straight fornication (and the other half to disrupt apostasy), hardly a word is spoken to thwart homosexual fornication.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    So if she was your blood related sister would they still say the same thing?

That reminds me of a brother and sister who moved here from Ghana. They were siblings, dirt poor, and trying to build a life in a new country. They were literally "just off the boat with only the clothes on their backs". The economic limitations and language barrier would be enough for anyone to contend with, but the elders decided they had to make things even more difficult. They insisted that these siblings were not to share an apartment because it "looked bad". W

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I agree with you WT Wizard, read some of my posts from the past 6 months.

• vitty
    vitty

I remember a situation, where a couple had the wifes mother live with them. Then the wife dies and the elders said the mother couldnt live with the son in law anymore.....................she was in her eighties Thankfully the son in law told them to .....off And they lived happily for a number of years.

Even in really religious controlled countries like Iran or Saudi Arabia, women can be with a family member.

They are just sick

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Keyser Soze:

Your very funny story sounds like a bedroom farce. You know those movies where somebody is cheating and somebody has to hide in a closet because an unexpected guest rang the door bell, etc. The sad part is that it is all too real in the JW world of appearances and we all know that is the ONLY thing that matters to these people. How they think things are perceived by everybody is what is important.

I know you were only trying to avoid a confrontation and a further explanation/meeting down the road but if you had been spotted by these two penguins it would have looked worse because you were trying to 'hide' something. This is the irony of what could have happened.

This would be enough to make me say 'enough' if I were still there!

LHG

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

This is so pathetic on many levels.

I don't know how old Keys is but that last post about an 80 year old is absurd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit