Are The Meetings Hypnosis?

by metatron 13 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

see:

http://www.energeticsolutions.com.au/great_watchtower_deception.html

Scroll down to the part comparing hypnotic technique. I've always thought there was something to

this hypnosis idea, especially when CO's would privately counsel me against adding additional

information to talks, in an attempt to make them more interesting. Informative is clearly not the goal.

metatron

• Nulite
    Nulite

I agree Metatron. My last district overseer made it a point to say each time you give a talk, quote something from a watchtower pub. That way people will know it's from the slave. It's all gravy as long as it's watchtower.

Anyone with 1/3 of brain will become overtaken by sheer madness with repeated exposure to meetings at the K.H.

NL

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I read this before and had a thread on it awhile back.
    Since then, I have examined it again. The meetings are hypnotic, but so
    are most political speeches and many sales seminars and other such things.
    They don't take away your power to decide things for yourself. They merely
    lull you and make you more agreeable to the things said.

The main thing is our own cognitive dissonance (you can look it up at wikipedia at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance). Your mind contains thoughts
    that wouldn't be comfortable with some JW teachings, or your behaviour isn't in
    harmony with their teachings. The meetings cause you to have more dissonance
    and the solution is to become more in harmony with the meetings so that you
    have less dissonance. It is common psychology today to recognize this.

The most important thing is to remember that the meetings are hypnotic, but they
    do not put people in a trance. They just lull them. We all know how boring and
    sleepy meetings are, so throw in some doctrine while everyone is sleepy.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

Is hypnosis the same as being so mind numbingly bored that you fall asleep at 10:10 on a Sunday morning? If so, then yes!

• poppers
    poppers

"The most important thing is to remember that the meetings are hypnotic, but they
    do not put people in a trance. They just lull them."

I don't see much of a distinction here. If they have been lulled in order to be more open to accept what they say it seems pretty much like hypnosis to me. Most people are in a trance state anyway, quite unaware of what's going on around them, wrapped up in their own thinking, oblivious to reality.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Poppers, you are correct.

I just define it that way because many blast such statements as
    "The meetings are hypnotic." to mean that they literally cause
    people to be totally under a spell where they can be told to kill
    the president or cluck like a chicken. People won't do things that
    they they wouldn't do anyway. Given enough meetings, though, and
    they will want their mind in harmony with what they hear. They will
    convince themselves that doing as WTS says, even if it's clucking
    like a chicken, is the best course in life. (The clucking would take
    full long sessions over several years, but it couldn't be harder to
    acheive than convincing loving grandparents to shun the grandchildren.)

More meetings or longer assemblies make people more favorable
    to doing what they hear at them. A long session at the DC will
    allow the mind to stop racing to personal thoughts, eventually.
    That makes DC's and Circuit Assemblies even more dangerous
    than KH meetings, but the WT lesson does it too. Once the brain
    is able to stop racing to personal thoughts, it can be lulled by the
    meeting.

• changeling
    changeling

My non witness sis-in-law is a school teacher. She told me that according to eduactors, it is only in the state of cognitive dissonance that learning occurs.

So, "cognitive dissonance" is not in itself a bad thing. It all depends on the info that you are taking in.

I don't think an informed person will be "lulled" into believing the nonsense taught at the meetings. But one that has not outside info will.

This is why JW's discourage education, independant thinking and research. If you only receive your "facts" from them, you will believe them, "hook, line and sinker"

changeling

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

YES YES YES>

"HI!"( with fake kingdumb smile)

P (anything to kill a few minutes and stretch the legs)

NO ( I aint doin no more I dont want to)

Sis ( she are gorgeass - but no SIS ( as eva) cause she keeps hessef fo anotha.)

I think for gay male Jw it are "HYPNOBRO"

HB

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think it's debatable whether the set up of the JW meetings is really hypnotic, what is hypnotic is what they actually say be it at the meetings or elsewhere things like the FDS was appointed by God as his only channel of knowledge while all other religious leaders were rejected.

That sort of ideas will make the dubs more willing to accept all the non sense that comes out of their mouths even to the point of accepting to die rather than receive blood.

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

Technically hypnotic or not, my folks are elderly and do not physically attend every meeting anymore so they listen in on the telephone. The expression on their faces and their body postures while listening to the co's talk via telephone gave me the creeps.

I appeased them by agreeing to listen in as well on a visit one time. It made me sick to my stomach to see how they almost immediately visibly changed their expressions and postures while hearing the drone I also heard at the same time. Like getting a 'fix' is the best way I can describe it.

On a positive note. I attribute their current 'more humanness' to the fact they are not exposed on such a constant diet of what the meetings pound into a person. I can actually enjoy them now in small doses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit