All are not equal before judicial committees

by roybatty 16 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

You can spin it out for weeks/months if you "arrange" a date far enough away, then persistantly don't attend for a legitimate reason.
    It really depends on how much trouble you want to cause if you think it's a foregone conclusion.

Roy:
    You're right - most guys go in with a preconception of the result.

LT

• siegswife
    siegswife

Thanks Roy. I'm pretty sure they said 'disfellowshipped'...(I wish I could remember who told me)but maybe they were confused.

• roybatty
    roybatty

No problem Siegs, glad I could help. Most JWs would be shocked to learn how a JC works behind the scenes. The whole before and after "legalisms" make it such a dreadful thing. I can undersand the Bible writer's thoughts on helping a person that has gone astray but a jc hearing has nothing to do with it. The Bible is just used as a crutch and the jc process to scare people. A real shame that so many people live in fear.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Hi Roybatty,

The scenarios that you mention regarding JC meetings are very true. When I served as an elder I noted that if the person before us was well connected politically in the congregation, he or she was most likely able to get off with a mild reproof, unless the alleged sin was so gross and well known that public reproof was necessary.

Like Littletoe I also preferred to err on the side of mercy. Frequently the fascist elders in my congregaton were quick to criticize the decisions made by the JCs upon which I served. Fortunately at the time, the 1970s and early 80s, the fascists were in the minority in our congregation. That changed after I resigned as an elder in 1984 and another liberal elder was removed by the body. The fascists were then in the majority. Interestingly the new majority formed new committees. The result was that some of the individuals that we liberals had mildly reproved were later DFd or "canned" as we used to call it.

Sincerely,

Athanasius

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Hi Roybatty,

The scenarios that you mention regarding JC meetings are very true. When I served as an elder I noted that if the person before us was well connected politically in the congregation, he or she was most likely able to get off with a mild reproof, unless the alleged sin was so gross and well known that public reproof was necessary.

Like Littletoe I also preferred to err on the side of mercy. Frequently the fascist elders in my congregaton were quick to criticize the decisions made by the JCs upon which I served. Fortunately at the time, the 1970s and early 80s, the fascists were in the minority in our congregation. That changed after I resigned as an elder in 1984 and another liberal elder was removed by the body. The fascists were then in the majority. Interestingly the new majority formed new committees. The result was that some of the individuals that we liberals had mildly reproved were later DFd or "canned" as we used to call it.

Sincerely,

Athanasius

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Hi Roybatty,

Sincerely,

Athanasius

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

This is totally true.

I have seen it work both ways. I have seen elders kids/friends get away with stuff that would get anyone else df'd without question.

and when I decided to divorce my husband, who was the son of a VERY high profile P.O.... a PO who had served on several "Special" committees in the 70's which removed whole bodies of elders in the Detroit area. He had spent years at Bethel previously and was something of a celebrity (either loved or hated, no one just 'liked' the guy) in the district.

There was no way that I was going to be able to stay in, even if I'd wanted to. They were going to df me, no matter what I did or didn't do. I was to be made an example of. No one could "leave the truth and so and so's son and get away with it."

They df'd me even after I wrote a letter disassociating myself! They 'fired' me and I'd already quit!

So I can tell you that yeah, a lot of JC's are totally biased, one way or another.

Es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit