Bethel Tour-long sorry

by samiam2b 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

Dagney:

I was there 2 years ago and I could not believe the difference in the attitude of the Bethelites from last time I went.

You've got my interest. Could you elaborate a little on that? How is it different? More conservative? Worried they're going to lose their "jobs"? Something else?

Open Mind

• Dagney
    Dagney
    You've got my interest. Could you elaborate a little on that? How is it different? More conservative? Worried they're going to lose their "jobs"? Something else?

Greetings Open Mind:

Basically "attitude." During the 80's I was there 3-4 times visiting friends, and it was a lot of fun, and the atmosphere was light. There was lots going on with the purchase of the hotels and apartment buildings in the area. We went out dancing many nights, had gatherings on the roof tops at night with that spectacular view of the city. (I sat at T Jaracz table for a few days, man was he ever glum...) The GB we ran into seemed in good spirits, friendly, hospitable. (Except for Jaracz.) So my memories were really good.

This last time, a whole different story. Of course the place is so empty now with the printing gone. We had a very nice tour guide who was friends with someone I was traveling with. So we got to see (big wup) different offices than what was on the normal tour. What really changed for me was the Bethelites themselves. When you passed them on the street, they didn't greet you anymore. It's obvious who we are, standing outside the buildings waiting...not even a "courtesy greeting." During the tour, the construction workers worked at a very slow pace, and also just ignored us when we passed. It was very quiet and very reserve, not the bustling, lively, friendly place I remembered. Did you know they are revamping the 124? All the "dorm" type rooms are being converted to rooms with private baths etc. I wondered "why?" To sell? Condos???

Then...we were waiting for a shuttle and I overheard the desk clerk talking to a new worker, not sure if the new worker was temp or permanent.) He said he could hardly believe he was still there, (now I forget the rest really). The desk clerk was middle aged (eeek!!!) and clearly irritated at where he was at in life. And his communication with us was short, no interest in us at all as visitors, not even in a cursory way.

What a difference. Theie future is unknown, who can blame them for being irritated. But they are taking it out on the wrong people. They need to grow a pair and confront who really is to blame for their current situation.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Dagney:

If they were courageous and confronted who was really responsible for their current situation, they would find themselves out on the street sooner rather than later. I suppose they see the handwriting on the wall and don't feel the security of a lifetime post that bethelites in the past felt sure of, hence the surly attitude.

LHG

• Dagney
    Dagney
    If they were courageous and confronted who was really responsible for their current situation, they would find themselves out on the street sooner rather than later. I suppose they see the handwriting on the wall and don't feel the security of a lifetime post that bethelites in the past felt sure of, hence the surly attitude.

Hi LHG!

Right. That desk clerk sounded like he had been at that desk for 30 years. I seem to remember a reference to '75 when he was talking. I mean he is just screwed if he wants to change.

Unless he quits and joins an MLM and makes a gazillion bucks! ; - ))

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Dagney:

I know I should feel sorry for these insecure bethelites but I have a problem with it. For one thing, aren't some of them guilty to some degree especially the ones in the writing department? The reason for their long face is because they face an uncertain future, not because they feel there is anything wrong with their religion or its policies. (If so they keep it to themselves.) I am not active so I don't know what it is like to be around recently fired ex-bethelites in the congregations. If they had their hand out I would run in the opposite direction.

LHG

• greendawn
    greendawn

I could never understand why anybody would want to go on a tour in Bethel, what is there to see? It is basically just a printing factory producing cultic propaganda that uses the free labour of misguided youths.

Do they make money out of these tours?

• Dagney
    Dagney

LHG,

No, you are right. I don't feel sorry either, especially with THAT tude.

And the "I just can't wait for the end to come" tude that ends their personal suffering.

I think the next few years will prove interesting. How many will keep on doing the same thing no matter what their gut tells them or the facts about the failed prophecies?

• under_believer
    under_believer

Do you feel sorry for yourself for wasting years of your life for a lie? I sure do.

Therefore, I also feel sorry for Bethelites, 99% of whom have wasted, not just years of, but their entire lives for a lie just like I did.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Behold the subtle omniscience of Jehovah's Holy Spirit - it don't know Jack from Jill!

Your experience on this tour should help disabuse you of the notion that they "know all."

Next time, rent a tux. You're in "the house that Chuck built," for christsakes!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

There is nothing really to see at the Brooklyn offices. The 25 Columbia Hts tour is walking down the halls and looking at pictures. The factory buildings are empty for the most part and there is NOTHING to see. The other buildings are off limits. They have really restricted access over the past few years.

But, Brooklyn Heights is a wonderful place to walk around. Unfortunately, you will be walking around in your meeting clothes. You don't want to make the holy spirit upset by being confortable while on your tour.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit