"Gentile Times"

by zeb 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zeb
    zeb

I am reading again the work.."The Gentile Times Reconsidered" by Carl Olof Jonsson.

It is very heavy going but he uses world sources as used by wt to totally refute the 607 thing. He sent his studies on this to Bethel NY and waited on jehovah. The wts does not like any sort of challenge and he was dfd.

Dozens of rabbis and other theologians all used the "Day for a year" thing and all came to naught from as far back as eleven hundred and something.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I have it, but have not read it. I find the whole Jonsson thing to be fascinating - his initially wanting to help the org by sending in his research, the org's reaction, etc.

Somewhere I read (maybe Crisis of Conscience?) that initially the org didn't know what to do with his research and that at least a couple of GB members were interested in it. Whatever it was I read gave me the impression that the org did not really know the subject, but stuck to its story because not doing so would have caused a big problem; it would have caused it to have to abandon its 1914 date which it had so heavily preached and depended on.

This issue, to me, is a prime example of why the org doesn't want its members to read, study, and research anything outside its own material. Those who do so often find out that "the truth" isn't the truth.

Your post has moved me to go ahead and get out my copy and read it.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I admire the man and his work, what shocked me as a newly exiting,born-in JW was that it meant that the W.T had known for decades before I woke up to the fact that 1914 etc was hogwash that it was all a pile of steaming poo.

Yet the lying a'holes continued, and still do, to defend their untenable position.

The JW org is simply a business posing as a religion, and cares not one fig for Truth.

• looter
    looter
    I would like to read it but it costs over a hundred bucks on ebay and amazon. It is mind-blowing how ludicrous those lies about 607 b c were to witnesses. What is even more crazy is that they still believe it and it has become the basis for almost everything they teach and use to teach (doomsday dates). Anyone know a moocher?
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    I enjoyed it, it was one more nail in the coffin of my JW career, The End of the Last Days was also good, I wonder if he ever realizes how many his material contributed to their leaving?
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I read it quite a few years ago and passed the book along recently. It is quite detailed in debunking 607BCE. I honestly cannot even remember all the stuff that debunks, but just knowing that it was made readily available to the GB and was so casually dismissed tells me all I need to know.
  • quest81
    quest81

Highly recommend this book. Currently reading it. One of the most detailed reads that also gives due citations. It lays out historical facts beyond doubt and shows how misleading JWs are when they imply they have special divination that led them to signify their highly regarded 1914. Also especially like the background given that shows the origins of the Second Adventist movements and the proponents for those ideas.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I think I have a PDF copy.

DD

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    The book is no longer in print and used copies are on sale on Amazon for ridiculous prices. Is the author Carl O. Jonsson deceased? If he is I wonder how someone would be able to get the printing rights of this book and make it available to the public.
  • OnTheWayOut

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit