Atheists, Agnostics: Do you still pray?

by Eh 33 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

Welcome!

Sorry for the sarcasm, can't help myself!

changeling

• changeling
    changeling

I said on another related thread that my teenaged daughter once told me: "Prayer is a pep talk you give yourself". So, I guess if you look at it that way, go ahead and pray. A little pep talk never hurt anybody.

changeling

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Well there is at least one atheist who saw a place for prayer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MG_nyd45czM

Slim

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Keeping a diary, sorting through things in your own mind or talking to friends are much better ways to get things off your chest and work out what to do next- praying can be dangerous when instead of sorting out problems yourself or helping others, you think a god will help you out instead. If you want to make a difference or get help, praying isn't the way to go about it.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Sometimes in my mind I will think of a God and say,"If you are really out there somewhere I do really appreciate being alive and wish to thank you for life but don't really understand all the bad that happens on earth, especially the natural disasters. I hope I don't make you made at me for not understanding you, I'm willing to listen any time you wish to speak to me."

Ken P.

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

I always got distracted during prayer even when I DID believe in God. Praying felt pointless and futile even then. Now, well, what would be the point?

brunn

• Gopher
    Gopher

Prayer is mainly a mental and emotional exercise, much like meditation. I don't think anyone is on the "receiving" end.

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

I am part of the whole and I am the whole, so prayer is the son speaking to the father or mother of us all...GOD-- The Generator Of Dreams.

I am talking to myself, and sometimes I listen (^_^)

• Terry
    Terry

Ever throw a baseball in the air and catch it when it falls?

Ever touch a still pond and watch the rings widen out to touch all the shoreline?

Ever watch a cloud and see "things" in the shapes?

Ever observe a young child with her dolly;combing the nylon hair, engaged in conversation, drinking tea and "sharing" things?

Ever throw a penny in a wishing well?

Prayer.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Ever watch a cloud and see "things" in the shapes?

Is that for JCanon?

LMAO!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit