Affidavit for a court custody battle with a JW mom/Non JW dad

by Billzfan23 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

What kind of things would you put in an affidavit to the court for a custody hearing - list them out in this thread for me so that I can disperse each point across multiple pages, making a strong case. I will start:

Blood transfusions: - JW children are refused blood transfusions that could save their lives.

How about school sports, flag salute, military service, discouraging college education, keeping "seperate from the world", Armageddon teachings, etc.

Help we fill in a little wordy description and elaborate on each point in this post - it would be very much appreciated!

• metaspy
    metaspy

I believe the word is spelled - separate
    if you are filling out a legal document, you would definitely want to use proper spelling.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I'm not good with putting things into words so feel free to change my wording:

JW children are raised with fear and control vs love and support, they are pressured to behave like adults instead of enjoying a childhood without guilt.

Hope that helps!

nj

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

How to Write a Simple Affidavit

It’s easy and it’s really cheap!

What is an affidavit?

An affidavit is a legally sworn document that details events about which the writer would have first-hand knowledge. Its writer attests that his/her statements are true, and signs his name. The signature is made in the presence of a Notary Public, who then ads his or her official seal to the document. The result is a document whose credibility goes far beyond any "letter to the editor" or "blog" entry. Instead, it is considered a legal document, and is even admissible in court.

What should an affidavit say?

"Just the facts, Mam." You should write only the things of which you have first-hand knowledge. If you saw it or heard it from the source, then you can include it in your affidavit. See the examples below for a better idea of what are and are not good examples of affidavit statements.

Examples of good statements.

• On or about July 4, 1776, I witnessed John Hancock signing the Declaration of Independence.
    • His signature surprised me, as I had been told previously by George Washington, in the presence of Benjamin Franklin that Hancock could neither read nor write.
    • Further, I had heard a good deal of casual conversation for several months prior to this signing, to the effect that Hancock was illiterate. So I had considered it to be a matter of public knowledge.
    • After witnessing the signature, I personally asked Hancock about the frequent common public perception that he was illiterate, and his reply was "It’s true I cain’t read a lick, but my Ma done showed me how ta write my name all big and proud!"
    • Examples of bad statements.

• Back around the revolution time, I saw dude sign the paper with all them other guys.
      • But I knew that that no good chicken stealer was up to no good because everybody knows he can’t write and George told me that John said he can’t write anyway and that really made me mad.
      • Who does he think he is to act like he can write when he can’t?
      • The nerve of that guy. He ought to be thrown in jail!
      • So I went straight up to him and asked him what was up with that and he made up some story about his momma.
      • This guy ain’t right.
      • What all can I include in my statement?

You can write about as many things as you have first-hand knowledge of. However, for the purposes of ICOCinvestigation.com, it is far better to write several short, focused affidavits, than to write everything you witnessed in one document. This way we can post each of your statements under the category that it best fits, such as "coercion to give", "misleading statements about leaders’ salaries", etc. Plus, a short statement is much more apt to be read carefully than is a long one.

What to include.

• Your full name
        • Your current address
        • Your statement
        • Your signature (done in the presence of the Notary Public.)
        • The Notary Public’s signature and seal
        • What exactly are you looking for?

Click here to see the kinds of things we want to document on this website.

Is it hard to find a Notary Public?

Nope. There’s probably one at your bank or Post Office. Or you’re sure to find one at The UPS Store. Or if you’re still stumped, call your local Chamber of Commerce. This might present a little bit of a hassle to you, but once it’s done, it’s done! And your sworn statement can help thousands of people for years to come!

How much does it cost to have a statement notarized?

In most states, there are legal limits to how much a Notary may charge. Generally speaking, you should expect to pay somewhere between $0 and $5!

Where do I send my affidavit?

Keep a photocopy for yourself and send the original to us. Email us for the address.

• Uzzah
        Uzzah

I personally wouldn't put in anything about the JW's in such an Affidavit as it will result in an open invitation for teh jw parent to bring the Watchtower legal Department into the matter. This will prolong the case and will bankrupt the non-JW parent.

How about a focus on who is the better parent and facts in support of that.

What are in the best interests of the child?

Please review Child Custody discussions under teh "Best of" section on this site. It will be helpful to you.

Good luck

• TheListener
        TheListener

I am fairly certain that the jw spouse can bring the WTS into the battle regardless of what the non-jw does.

In fact, the WTS has a packet they will send out to a jw parent who is fighting a custody battle against a non-jw spouse.

I am pretty sure much of the WTS information is located on the web.

• Billzfan23
        Billzfan23

I have that packet that you are referring to - I got a copy last November when I was still serving as the school overseer. I have seen it, and it is garbage, easily refuted.

• looking_glass
        looking_glass

Billz -

From my personal experience the WTBTS own publications are sufficient enough for a judge to see how restrict the religion is. I am assuming you are doing an affidavit because you want custody of the kids? If so, have your attorney do a motion, then have a memorandum in support and in the memo you will reference specific things whether from a Watchtower, Awake or any other publication that would support your contention that the religion is restrictive and could be mentally and emotionally harmful to your children. I don't believe an affidavit would be sufficient for what you are seeking to accomplish (but I am not 100% sure what you are needing the affidavit for).

If you atty asked you for an affidavit then counsel should be drafting it for you and you would get final say as to its content.

• Junction-Guy
        Junction-Guy

Dont forget to mention that JW's arent allowed to date in the traditional sense, they arent supposed to have girlfriends or boyfriends.

If I lived anywhere near you, I would love to testify in court as to the damage being raised a JW can cause.

• Junction-Guy
        Junction-Guy

Make a list of all the careers that require a college education, then show how the WT Society discourages JW's not only from those careers, but the education that is needed for them.

• Share this

Google+
        Pinterest
        Reddit