What is the supposed biblical basis for the non-acceptance of blood

by Lotus65 13 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Lotus65
    Lotus65

i want to know what the supposed biblical basis for the non transfusion of blood is with the JW's so that i can use it at the convention when im with my family

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

w61 9/15 p.553 Respect for the Sanctity of Blood***

"Flesh with its soul—its blood—you must not eat."—Gen. 9:4.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

bqpp.5-6 par.10 Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Question of Blood***

: "Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you. As in the case of green vegetation, I do give it all to you. Only flesh with its soul—its blood—you must not eat."—Genesis 9:3, 4.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

bqp .8 par.16 Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Question of Blood***

"As for any man of the house of Israel or some alien resident who is residing as an alien in their midst who eats any sort of blood, I shall certainly set my face against the soul that is eating the blood, and I shall indeed cut him off from among his people."—Leviticus 17:10.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

(Acts

15:27-29) ". . .. 28 For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to YOU, except these necessary things, 29 to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication. If YOU carefully keep yourselves from these things, YOU will prosper. Good health to YOU!""
  • jwfacts
    jwfacts

see http://jehovah.net.au/blood.html

The main support is

Acts 15:19-20 "Hence my decision is not to trouble those from the nations who are turning to God, but to write them to abstain from things polluted by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood."

Acts 21:25 ""As for the believers from among the nations, we have sent out, rendering our decision that they should keep themselves from what is sacrificed to idols as well as from blood and what is strangled and from fornication.""

There are a couple of things to be aware of these two scriptures. The Jews put saving a life ahead of the Law, so even if they do not eat blood, they are allowed to have a blood transfusion to save a life. Secondly, Paul shows elsewhere that there is nothing wrong with eating food sacrificed to idols except if it stumbles someone, showing that Acts only applies if it stumbles others.
            • stillajwexelder
              stillajwexelder

km11/06pp.3-6HowDoIViewBloodFractionsandMedicalProceduresInvolvingMyOwnBlood?***

The Bible commands Christians to "abstain from . . . blood." (Acts 15:20) Thus, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not accept transfusions of whole blood or the four primary components of blood—namely, red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets, and plasma. They also do not donate or store their own blood for transfusion.—Lev. 17:13, 14; Acts 15:28, 29.

What

arebloodfractions,andwhyistheiruseamatterforeachChristiantodecide?

Blood fractions are elements from blood that are extracted through a process called fractionation. For example, plasma, one of the four major components of blood, can be divided into the following substances: water, about 91 percent; proteins, such as albumins, globulins, and fibrinogen, about 7 percent; and other substances, such as nutrients, hormones, gases, vitamins, waste products, and electrolytes, about 1.5 percent.

Are fractions also covered by the command to abstain from blood? We cannot say. The Bible does not give specific direction on the subject of fractions. Of course, many fractions are derived from blood that has been donated for medical purposes. Each Christian should make a conscientious decision as to whether he or she will accept or will reject the medical use of these substances.

When making such decisions, consider the following questions: Am I aware that refusing all blood fractions means that I will not accept some medications, such as certain ones that fight viruses and diseases or that help blood to clot in order to stop bleeding? Could I explain to a physician why I reject or accept the use of certain blood fractions?

Why

aresomeproceduresinvolvingthemedicaluseofmyownbloodapersonaldecision?

Although Christians do not donate or store their own blood for transfusion purposes, some procedures or tests involving an individual’s blood are not so clearly in conflict with Bible principles. Therefore, each individual should make a conscientious decision as to whether to accept or to reject some types of medical procedures involving the use of his or her own blood.

When making such decisions, ask yourself the following questions: If some of my blood will be diverted outside my body and the flow might even be interrupted for a time, will my conscience allow me to view this blood as still part of me, thus not requiring that it be ‘poured out on the ground’? (Deut. 12:23, 24) Would my Bible-trained conscience be troubled if during a medical procedure some of my own blood was withdrawn, modified, and directed back into my body? Am I aware that refusing all medical procedures involving the use of my own blood means that I refuse treatments such as dialysis or the use of a heart-lung machine? Have I prayerfully considered this matter before making a decision?

What

aremypersonaldecisions?

Consider the two work sheets on the following pages. WorkSheet1 lists some of the fractions extracted from blood and how they are commonly used in medicine. Fill in your personal choice as to whether you will accept or will reject the use of each of these fractions. WorkSheet2 lists some common medical procedures involving your own blood. Fill in your personal choice as to whether you will accept or will reject these procedures. These work sheets are not legal documents, but you may use your answers on these work sheets to help you to complete your DPA (durable power of attorney) card.

Your decisions should be your own and should not be based on someone else’s conscience. Likewise, no one should criticize another Christian’s decisions. In these matters, "each one will carry his own load" of responsibility.—Gal. 6:4, 5.

Helpful information on this subject is found in the June 15, 2004, issue of TheWatchtower, pages 29-31.

Helpful information on this subject is found in the October 15, 2000, issue of TheWatchtower, pages 30-1, and the TransfusionAlternatives—DocumentarySeries—OnDVD.

• greendawn
              greendawn

There is in other words no biblical basis, eating the blood of an animal that had its life taken away and receiving blood from a willing donor that suffered no harm or coercion in giving blood are two totally different issues.

The thick skulled JW leaders do not or pretend that they do not understand the obvious difference.

• TD
              TD

The JW leaders themselves know that the biblical basis for the non-acceptance of blood is slim to none.

They can't abruptly let go of the doctine now with so much water under the bridge because the backlash would be terrible in more ways than they are prepared to deal with.

• Doug Mason
              Doug Mason

Throughout both the Hebrew and Greek Scriptures, "blood" ALWAYS means Death, usually a violent one. Go to my site at

http://au.geocities.com/doug_mason1940/blood.html

and download the material written by Stibbs and by Leon Morris.

In the transfusion of blood, whether whole blood or some parts of it, the presence of the blood does not indicate the death of the donor. Rather, it is a gift given out of love and concern.

Doug

Share this

Google+
            Pinterest
            Reddit