read the Bible for yourself

by a friend 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• a friend
    a friend

Seems a lot of people are depending on everyone else to solve their problem. Questions like who is Jehovah, who is Jesus, what is the truth, are some of the deep spiritual truths asked by all of us. However, the Bible is the one to turn to when questioning. I know this because I questioned. Because of God's love for me, He began to give me answers when I sincerely spent time with His Word. So... the Bible, God's Word, God's speaking to me, was the only answer for me. Truth was very plain. I am very thankful for His mercy and unconditional love toward me that while I was a sinner, He offered himself to take my place of punishment. An awesome God, I must say. And the only God that is alive and well.

• sosad
    sosad

good for you. may i ask if the personal reading pointed you in the direction of a particular denomination or organization, or just general Christianity? Also - which version(s) did you particularily feel had merit in your search?

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I know quite a few people who where set free from the org by just picking up their Bible and reading it without all the other stuff.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

If it works for you, good.

Personally, I believe that the bible is nothing more than a collection of olf folk tales and stories.

To each their own.

Welcome to the board.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

I think for most of us it was because as JWs we were used to having the answers given to us. Our research as JWs wasn't really research. It was just learning to recite what the Watchtower "Official Stance" was on things.

When I read the bible without the blinders on - especially the New Testament - it was like reading a whole new book. It was emotional for me as well, even crying on occasion.

But then I learned the same reaction is had by people who read other holy writings, from Buddha to The Book of Mormon, to the Torah to the Koran.

I wanted to know why my reaction to the bible was more legitimate than the reaction others have to other so-called Holy Books.

I never found a satisfactory reason.

Since then I have truly learned the meaning of researching and finding answers for oneself - even if they aren't the answers one wants to hear.

I'm glad the bible works for you. As long as you're not clamoring for legislation on Intelligent Design, and abstinence programs only in school I wish you well on your journey.

-ithinkisee

• JIS
    JIS

Sure, I was a Southern Baptist with a family that became JW when I was 19; so I was lost as a goose because I really did not know the Word; I just believed everyone as it was taught to me. I began reading my NAV Bible and I promise you that was the best thing I ever did. I couldn't convince my JJW family, but because I was taught in the Word to love my enemies, and love unconditionally, I have a little sister that is now out and we are good friends. I have a relationship with Jesus and He is the One Who rescued me. Thanks for asking

• JIS
    JIS

Oh, I know; I've heard that answer before. Only thing is that someone had to tell you that before, too. If someone really wanted to know who God is, than they would read from the source. Depending on what others tell you is just an answer. And thanks for responding and thanks for the welcome. This is really cool.

• JIS
    JIS

Yep, and there is so much the Bible can do. It even offers fellowship by saying "do not forsake the assembling of yourselves, as some do'. So I choose to worship my God with singing and studying and fellowshiping as i should. Thanks for your comment. This is a cool site

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I think everyone should read the Bible too. It could help you see how ridiculous it all is.

There's a creation story that's full of holes and which goes completely against science, a sexist, homophobic man in the sky dishing out punishments for the mildest things - death for picking up sticks on the sabbath, nice! Death if you answer your parents back, haha! Being stoned if you get raped and don't scream loud enough, ugh! Then there's the contradictory story of Jesus, which is like the retelling of demi god stories such as Dionysus, Mithra and Horus which were worshipped hundreds of years before. And to end it all, a drugged up hallucination about locusts that look like horses and stars falling to the earth (which shows how they didn't have a clue what stars were!) and which can be interpreted in any way at all (and is!)

Yes, please, read the Bible. The parts about unicorns, a man living in a whale, a talking donkey and sticks turning into snakes are especially funny!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I respect where you're at.

Maybe God will love the rest of us someday too.

For now, I'm going with my brain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit