Is Active Disbelief a New Development?

by metatron 25 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

In decades past, I can't ever recall anyone who 'left the truth' , who openly believed it was false.

I knew lots of people who drifted away but none who actively proclaimed that what the organization

taught was false. Usually, you would bump into them and they would say , "I know its the truth but

......."

I really wonder if the Society is experiencing a new phenomena: lots of people leaving while openly

asserting that Watchtowerism is false. People aren't just slinking away as they used to do

............. and that's good.

metatron

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Excellent topic, metatron.

I think you're dead on and this phenomenon you describe caused them to change the way in which disassociations are announced.

There is now no difference in the way that a disfellowshipped person and a disassociated person are described from the platform.

I believe the high number of those disassociating themselves for intellectual, in lieu of "moral", reasons has increased to a degree that is alarming and frightening to the HQ. The above change was genius on their part.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Nvrgngbk:

You are absolutely right about how they are vague when somebody is DF'd or DA'd. It is not like the old days when they made a distinction. Very sneaky!

They are concerned that people will find out that somebody left because something is wrong with the RELIGION and NOT because they committed immorality. So they have to make it vague so that it is hidden from everybody. They do not want people inquiring as to why somebody left.

I have noticed that they keep it quiet whenever somebody leaves by DA'ing themselves.

LHG

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I was thinking of making a similar topic; "Reason for leaving: emotions or logic?", where I was thinking of asking if those who are disfellowshipped for for example having sex out of marriage are more likely to return, than those who leave because they have come to the conclusion that either the Bible and/or the WBTS is wrong/false? Well - I guess the answer seems pretty obvious, but... I was thinking that perhaps those who were DF'ed because of "sex, drugs and/or rock'n roll" after a while also studied and would come to the same conclusion as those who DA'ed themselves?

-I think perhaps more and more people leave not because they fell in love with the wrong person, or because they started to gamble or drink and couldn't stop, but because they've thought things through and come to the conclusion that something's not right. And so they don't go back either, which is a bigger problem for the WBTS. They could stand a few disfellowshipped as long as they could bully or guilt them into returning, but what when they simply don't believe any of it anymore and never return? And more and more are of that variety?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Right, Awakened07.

Many disfellowshipped for "moral" reasons continue to believe WT dogma.

Some visit here as apologists.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

people are not willing to walk around with the guilt imposed on them for leaving

and are speaking out

• besty
    besty

sweet pea and I are firmly in the morally, ethically, spiritually and intellectually wrong class and will never go back

just got to handle the fallout from that :-)

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

It seems it would be natural for us to evolve beyond archaic tribal superstition and beliefs. What's amazing is that it is taking so long.

j

• PEC
    PEC

I don't think so, I remember back in the mid 70's, people picketing at the Dodger stadium conventions. I was told not to look at them. That is crazy, when you are 7 or 8 years old you do what you are told or get your ass beat.

Philip

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

It seems it would be natural for us to evolve beyond archaic tribal superstition and beliefs. What's amazing is that it is taking so long.

It really is amazing, j.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit