Lurking has its faults

by RisingEagle 25 Replies latest jw friends

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Hi,

I've been researching prior postings gathering info but mostly reading because I've been 'out' for almost 14 years. I still have numerous relatives that are still 'in' and when we get together those still in seem to get a sort of kick out of discussing super double secret goings on with 'new light' and changes in the cult. It's been fun to be able to say, "Oh you mean the change in length of the Sunday talk?" or "So you're all pleased as punch that not everyone gets a study copy of the WT?" It irks them - and I'm all about the irking.

I'd like to share some stories, oh and I do have some stories, but I feel a need to keep reading because I have some questions that are probably answered in the archives. Other forums I read on a daily basis that are totally unrelated crucify, heh, newbies for asking questions without diligent archive research.

Mrs. Eagle and I are the only remaining married couple of the 10+ couples that married in the 2 years afterward. It was a fun courtship, everyone in both halls said we were doomed to divorce. To a man every elder in both congregations took me aside and counselled me not to marry her because her family, meaning her father, were 'liars and bad association.' One overzealous elder took it upon himself to follow us on our dates even though we always took an unmarried female pioneer along as a chaperone. The elder that performed the marriage ceremony insisted on seeing the future Mrs. Eagle in her wedding dress and required her mother to add material to the bodice because there was (and still is, praise god) too much cleavage. I was pulled aside by brother overzealous 45 minutes before our wedding and questioned because he had heard that the future Mrs. Eagle had gone to my apartment alone the night before (Why did she already have a key? Had she ever gone there before alone? What did she do there? (She cleaned it, her style. My cleaning style involved a can of gasoline and a match or a firehose)) If it hadn't been for the intervention of the photographer I think he would have called a jc right there. As it was he stated that we would need to 'address this topic with the both of you' after we returned from our honeymoon. Like I said we are the only ones still married at 15+ years so we win, right?

Anywho, I did have one question and I can't find the answer: What is BTT or BTTT? I see it in several threads and have looked it up on other forums but nada. TIA

• bebu
    bebu

back to the top!

It brings the thread back to the top of the active topics list, which is the listing many people look at to see who's on, what's current...

And welcome, Rising Eagle! Congrats on a long marriage! It's the best revenge too, I suppose, in your case.

bebu

• eclipse
    eclipse

Welcome Rising eagle!

And fire away with the questions....I'm a newbie myself...BTT/BTTT means ''bump to the top''. The thread gets seen on the most recent ''active topic'' pages...I look forward to reading more of your posts!

• choosing life
    choosing life

Back to top or back to the top. To keep the thread fresh. Wecome. Feel free to post. You don't have to read all the archives first. As fast as this board moves, you'll never catch up.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Morning Rising Eagle ...great story!! Looking forward to more.

BTT = Back To Top/Bump To Top...(just keeping the thread 'active)

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hey there Rising Eagle, you irker and lurker, welcome to the JWD forum.

I won't tell you what BTTT is. I think it's been covered, LOL.

I really enjoyed your courtship/wedding story, and how you endured in spite of all the silliness and meanness that surrounded you. And now that you've left Jehovah's one true organization and lost his holy spirit, surely your marriage will now fall apart. NOT.

Please do tell more about how you and Mrs. Eagle came to learn the truth about "the truth".

Don't worry about asking questions and getting started posting here. We love our newbies. (I don't know if that's different from other forums, I don't participate in other ones. This one is busy enough.)

• DJK
    DJK

Welcome Rising Eagle.

• oldflame
    oldflame
    I won't tell you what BTTT is. I think it's been covered, LOL.

It always happens that way ! LOL

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Thank you guys very much for the warm welcome! I appreciate the info on the acronym, every forum seems to have their own.

I found this forum via google, can't remember if I found freeminds or here first and it's been eye-opening. Mrs. Eagle and I have have been attending a church (gasp! Christendom - harlotry!) for about a year. Well this church is a conservative bible-based old-time praying church (which really freaked me out first to even walk in because I was born and raised a jw. As a child I only went into one other church for a wedding and we were scooped up and dragged out almost knocking over the bride to get out the front door when the ceremony ended. Thank goodness armageddon didn't happen during that wedding!) This church is filled with many individuals - I like to call them "people" and these "people" have many different opinions on everything from scripture interpretations to ideas about how the sanctuary remodel should go (chairs or pews.) Then these "people" participate in something called 'politics' not republican/democrat politics (they're into those also) but cliques and pecking parties and affiliations. They can't even decide on the hiring of a music minister without a filibuster. This bickering back and forth with some of the "people" getting their feelings hurt was making the Eagles very uneasy and we couldn't figure out why. We even considered quitting, we quit the jw's so why shouldn't we quit the church? Well, I bent a knee and sought direction. And then I got on the computer and googled 'jehovah's witnesses' and started reading. I didn't read the pro-jw stuff because I get that everytime I visit with the majority of my relatives and it always sets off my bs detector.

Anyway what I found was pretty amazing. I realized we were viewing those "people" at the church through a great big WTBS, with the emphasis on BS, made magnifying lens. We are the ones with the issues, not the brothers and sisters at the church. Every little nit-pick clique-y political thing those folks did or does is ok, because they can, they are allowed. They're human and that's what humans do. We were looking for perfection because that's what we were taught to look for, finding fault because the wt said to. I had to re-read and re-learn and re-apply numerous scriptures like 1Thess 5:12-15 and 1Cor 13:4-7. Yeah I had read them thousands of times but I had to remove the wt's little extras like 'love...keeps no records of wrong - unless you see Sister Publisher go to an r-rated movie and then we wanna know about it and if you don't tell us you saw her we'll call you to the backroom and counsel you' The more I read on this forum on cults and their nefarious effects the more I realize I have to change my own thinking.

Gopher - you wanted to know more about how the Eagles found out the truth about the troof. Well, I guess it started on the wedding night (way, way, way late into the night). We started talking about the wedding day and the people we had seen and the ceremony. I brought up elder overzealous' comments before the wedding about her trip the day before to the apartment. Needless to say it ticked her off and we started playing a game of 'Did you know that they (said, did).....?' It seemed that we had a rather large collection of ammo of offenses that these holy spirited appointed men committed. That got the ball rolling and it just kept rolling. If I had to pick out something in the literature that really pushed me off the fade cliff it was the revelation book. Until I started reading the early russell rutherford carp I don't recall reading a bigger load of psycho-babble self-promoting nonsense.

Speaking of babbling it's after 3 in my timezone and I need to stare at the back of my eyelids for a while. I am a night owl but its late even for me. Thanks again everyone for the welcome words!

• monophonic
    monophonic

i love it.

same here regarding the wedding situation...people who were saying i was a bad witness and to get my shit together, they're divorced, really messed up their kids' lives in the process and we're still married after all these years.

i was talking earlier about it tonite w/ my wife, that the best form of revenge is success.....people thought that she was going to play me on my end and i was playing her on her side of things.

meddling, gossipy, no-lifers.

our 10+ years together and still going strong is a middle finger to them....not the reason why we're still together, but it just came up tonite how cool that is.

welcome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit