I just walked 4.6km and I feel great.

by Orgull 12 Replies latest social physical

• Orgull
    Orgull

I am extremely overweight (280lbs.), but I've been looking for something low-impact I can do. Several friends suggested walking. We have a 'rail trail' near the house here that goes all the way to two towns over, about 30km long.

I walked 4.6 km of it in one hour this afternoon. Woot! (that's about 2.8 mph)

Don't worry, I took a bottle of water, but next time I'm taking a whole litre. 500ml wasn't enough. I'm hoping to slowly and eventually work my way up to 2 hours at 3.1 mph. That would give me 10 km in two hours.

I figure if I do this at least 559 more times I might lose 80 lbs.

This is going to take a while. LOL.

• Mum
    Mum

That's great, O! You're getting on board with making the changes you want to make a better life.

All the best,

SandraC

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Orgull,

Well, done. That took a lot of courage and hopefully it is just the beginning of a change in lifestye. Just make sure that your doctor is 'in' on the excercise routine and keep walking!

This time next year a 10K march will mean nothing to you.

HS

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

That's awesome! Just getting out and walking or doing anything like that is so good for you not only physically but yeah it makes you feel so much better in every way. Good on you, keep it up, it's also a great way to feel better inside.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Walking...I loved walking, until I developed Osteoarthritis in my knee!! I used to run the 10k every year..

Anyway, enjoy it. It's very good for your heart, just make sure you take it slow and see your Dr. to make sure everything is ok if you havn't already!

Let me know how it's going... I love walking and running, now all I do is limp

nj

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

orgull, that's awesome, i am doing the same thing.

may i give you some advice? i have a personal trainer, and he suggested i get a good quality elliptical machine. it's no-impact, and is a much more efficient workout. i can feel the difference. good luck bro.

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

Orgull that is great! I am doing the same thing, I am 5' 11'' and 350. My goal is to get down to 280 by next year, then I can kick it up to more inetnse workouts. I hope to start karate again next year. Keep up the good work and let me know of your progress. Hopefully we can encourage each other!

• frozen one
    frozen one

I walk a lot. Two miles in the morning and another 2 after work. I started walking when I found out I have diabetes. Someone suggested that I follow the 10,000 step a day program (about 5 miles). I did some reading and went out and bought a pedometer. That many steps a day seems impossible at first, but if you stick to it you'll be surprised at how quickly that goal can be reached. Here's a link about 10,000 steps:

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/10000steps.html

Keep up the good work.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

That's great Orgull!! Keep it up!

• BrentR
    BrentR

That is great to hear! When you do have some extra weight walking actually builds your skeleton also. The light impact causes micro-fractures which turn stimulate calcium uptake to repair them. That makes a stronger skeleton without putting too much stress on the joint cartilage.

Me and my daughter have been mountain biking since last Mar. and having great time. Anything that gets you outside and increases your respirations stimulates endorphins and encephlons(sp?). Those natural opiates reduce pain, stress and make you feel much better.

I am not much into exercise but a huge fan of having fun with physical activity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit