state of fear

by John Doe 31 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, John Doe, for rekindling my interest in STATE OF FEAR. I read it last year and couldn't put it down, even taking copious notes. I thought it fascinating and assumed it was well-researched and factual, though it is a novel. However, I came across criticism [isn't there always?] that left me confused as to how to reach accurate conclusions on any controversy. I remember one comment M.C. included was 'I don't have an agenda.'
    I found him credible, but this subject - global warming - is way over my head.

CoCo

• jgnat
    jgnat

I haven't read the book, so I'll be talking out my arse here.

OF COURSE salesmen want to rush people to a decision. They are more likely to buy more than they need. Fear is a quick and easy way to rush people.

I WONDER at the relentless advertising that undermines a family's confidence to cook and clean for themselves. Why?

I FEARED for American confidence when I saw some of Bush's campaign ads, suggesting it was the army alone that protects the United States from perceived enemies. Seige mentality is a terrible state to be in. People lash out unpredictably, causing more harm.

BUT there is a growing segment that markets on integrity. Their strength in the market baffled the traditional companies and advertisers, I think. I'm thinking of The Body Shop as an example. Dove soap is another. http://www.couch.ca/history/1992/Competitiveness.html

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

I agree with you John (the first you, not the second. - Heh ). I haven't read the book, but I am saddened by the general feel of fear that permeates the U.S. culture anymore. On 9/11, things changed so much for us. In my city that morning was proof that we (in our area) had lost our innocence to a degree, and also that we could be manipulated to an enormous extent by the media. I don't know what it was like in other places - I was too busy being manipulated by fear myself. That bothers me also. It is a hard thing to realize that you have been taken for a ride.

My brother called that morning and told me on turn on the TV. - we watched the second tower fall together as we spoke on the phone. It wasn't ten minutes more before I had a list in my hot little hands of things to buy from the gun store. As if shrieking, Muslims were going to ride camels over the horizon at us to destroy our lives. Fear. So I went to the gun shop, and I stocked up for the both of us (he was at work). I had been to that shop recently - they were packed with hundreds of firearms of all descriptions at that time. Not that day. They were still able to run background checks and get the guns to you. As early as I got there, they were already running low. In the day or days that followed, the few gun shops in my city completely sold out of handguns and mostly out of long guns. The rush was so huge that there was a major local newspaper story on it. So much fear. So much hate. Not a single Muslim atacked us again on our soil, let alone in a capicity where the guns we had would have been useful, yet we still live in fear.

I don't like how this fear has been perpetuated. I don't like how a lot of things have been changed. Usage of certain words have changed in all this. For instance, a "hero" used to be someone who singlehandedly founght off a squad of enemy soldies - using just a pistol - while simultaneously defending his wounded men. A "hero" used to be a firefighter who told his chief "f**k you", disobeyd orders, and ran into the collapsing, burning building to save the crying baby. Those are heroes. Not anymore though. Now, I could save $1 by using coupons at the store and the media will say I'm a hero (OK, not really, but you get the point).

I don't know what the answer is.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I get most of my news and current events from Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, now.

The best source for real news!

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

stephen colbert is a god. i love him.

• erandir
    erandir

JD,

After I read State of Fear, I watched some time later the Al Gore movie Inconvenient Truth, and then the movie Super Size Me. And then recently Zeitgeist the Movie. I'm overflowing with conspiracy theories and anti-propaganda propaganda.

So finally, Stephen Colbert (yes...god that he his, bigdrew) brought up the subject of the super NAFTA highway being built in Texas which will lead to the North American Union and cheaper tube socks for everyone.

Anyone have any good bunker plans available that I could download?

• PEC
    PEC

Thanks, John, great subject.

Did anyone notice that every disaster on the news is the worst one ever. Everything is sensationlised and many people eat it up. Watching the news just pisses me off, I have no problem with them reporting what is happning. Many people are terrified to fly, the safest way to travel.

Philip

• brinjen
    brinjen
    Did anyone notice that every disaster on the news is the worst one ever.

Yup, we get that here too, I've given up on the commercial news. I only watch the ABC news, they at least have some integrity left.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

i think alot of the problem is the 24 hour news stations. they have to fill all that time, and keep viewers attentions. so, what do they do? they sensationalize everything. it's disgusting.

• John Doe
    John Doe

How do you all feel about global warming?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit