We are we almost all black now? Especially CO's.

by coaster 39 Replies latest jw friends

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I'm sure it depends on where you live and the various populations within that area of the country/state. I've only experienced black CO's in the areas I've lived that weren't overwhelmingly anglo-saxon. Sociological statistics are interesting.

I once sat in a "black" section at a district convention. Except I had to leave halfway through because the wafting scent of KFC waiting to be opened at lunch was making my stomach growl like a mother.

*daniel-p runs away and hides*

Why bother? Do you feel better now? Perhaps you do, along with the board's inhouse prejudiced ones.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Cults with snappy answers are particularly appealing to low socio economic classes. So, it makes sense that there would be growth in the amount of blacks in the borg. Unfortunately for them, they are traditionally less educated and therefore more suceptible? than those of other more educated classes. If you have the opportuinity to talk to many black witnesses like I do living in Long Beach, you will find that they are typically especially blinded and taken in by WT rhetoric. They just don't have the critical thinking skills to combat the rhetoric. This is why there is more growth in Spanish congregations as well. the blacks that I have talked to have little knowledge about the borg and its history and seem to be acting on emotion more than intelectual ability. They speak of the WT in the same manner that so many gospel church members speak of their churches. Lots of "Amen, bro, this is the truth!" not so much any ability to analyze?. I actually met a black brother who came to my door who had a masters degree but still exhibited the same low socio economic ignorance and lack of critical thinking skills. This person apparently left his heart in the ghetto when he went to school so when he got out he fell right back into a ghetto religion. Sad. That's my two cents.

• Fangorn
    Fangorn

I'll try to dig the numbers out but I know that a number of years ago the percentage of blacks in the Organization was greater than in the US population as a whole. That's a trend that has increased since then and in some areas it is very noticeable.

• coaster
    coaster

Strong stuff Shawn, and Fanghorn, I have never seen racial stats on us. Are they your own?

I have had super close friends that are black elders, two in particular. They seem very genuine in many respects. There did some to be a bit of power-loving though. My theory is that any oppressed people, poor or ethnic, see us as the equalizer. The appeal also is to be a "Real Minister" and be looked up to. That has to appeal to many whe have felt held down, or treated as second class for so long.

Damn skin tones...coaster

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing
    However there is only one African American on the GB.

Yup, the last I heard the majority of old guys in Brooklyn that are handing down the orders to the rank & file are still whiteys...

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

This honkie loves him some Popeye's spicy fried chicken.

Much better than KFC.

And the rice and beans?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

reminds me of the racist joke- Why can we be 100% certain there were no african americans on Noahs Ark?

The chickens wouldnt have lasted more than a day

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Intersting Topic.

A Fellow in My church thought all JWs were black until I explained they are all different races but then I've been out for about 20 years so what do I know? I was primarily in mostly Black congregations but the COs were always white.

My son Thomas (who doesn't speak with me anymore) is dating a much younger black girl (he's 33, she's about 21 or 22). He told his siblings he wanted a young person so he could control her. My ex-husband married a much younger black girl after our divorce ten years ago. I think there may be a shift.

• karvel
    karvel

white flight happens in dubworld too.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    Lonelysheep: Why bother? Do you feel better now? Perhaps you do, along with the board's inhouse prejudiced ones.

Accepting others of different races and backgrounds means being able to laugh at our differences in good humor. I'm sorry if what I said offended you, but if you're offended that easily you're going to have a rough time of it. I suppose you're of the "ban the N word" class, as well?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit