The Q Drum~ Reinventing The Wheel~ Why Didn't I think of This?

by Sparkplug 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

The Q-Drum, a low cost rollable water container for developing countries.

The burden of fetching water, invariably over long distances by cumbersome and far too often, unhygienic means, is all too evident in rural Africa.

The idea of the Q-Drum originated in response to the needs of rural people for clean and potable water, as well as easing the burden of conveying it.

The solution had to be simple, water in adequate quantities is by far too heavy to carry, by rolling the water in a cylindrical container and not carrying it seemed to be the only solution. The container had to be durable, and breakable handles & other attachments would simply not do - in many parts of Africa even a hammer & a nail are scarce commodities.

The Q-Drum addresses these needs by providing a simplistic, cost effective and durable solution: The uniqueness of the Q-Drum lies in the idea and design of the longitudinal shaft or doughnut hole, and is acknowledged by the fact that Worldwide patents have been granted for the concept, thus confirming the novelty & inventiveness of the design.

The Q-drum is user friendly and the uniquue longitudinal shaft permits the drum to be pulled using a rope run through the hole. There are no removable or breakable handles or axles, and the rope can be repaired on the spot or replaced by means available everywhere, such as a leather thong or a rope woven from plant material.

The Drum is manufactured from Linear Low Density Polyethylene through either rotational or blow moulding and has a high compatibility with foodstuffs and water. It's durability has been proven by Kaymac Rotomoulders via a 3 metre drop-test filled with water as well as extensive actual use in rural areas of South Africa and Angola.With the Q-drum, even a child can pull 50 litres of water over flat terrain for several kilometres without undue strain, and could shift the burden of water collection away from adult women to children and reduce the existing burden on the children at the same time - they play with it and love to fetch water.

Qhttp://www.qdrum.co.za/about.htm

• jgnat
    jgnat

Wonderful! Anything that lightens the burden.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I thought it was pretty neat that it mad a probably horribly uncomfortable task easier. I have often looked at photos in magazines and thought to myself, " That has to suck. (Carrying that water) So when I saw this featured in a magazine on helping under developed countries. I had to share. I was intrigued.

• coaster
    coaster

Damn what simple idea! Thanks for the info. Someone is probably making big bucks off of this.

Coaster

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hauling water is the daily existence of too many people. Releasing this burden will literally help MILLIONS.

http://www.un.org/waterforlifedecade/background.html

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

DAMN!

That is an awesome idea!

I have nothing but respect for good design that solves real problems in as simple a way as possible.

This is nothing short of GENIUS.

Roller

• sixsixsixtynine
  • bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

i think it's an awesome idea too. i'm just worried about the design. if you look at it, it's a large, heavy, cylinder, attached to a rope. better be really careful. if you decide you need to go downhill, you better think ahead. if i made it, i'd try putting bearings in the middle with a solid rod so it'd be easier to control and not as dangerous.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    i'd try putting bearings in the middle with a solid rod so it'd be easier to control and not as dangerous.

you should submit that!

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

sixsixsixsixtynine~lol

While children have fun spinning on the PlayPump merry-go-round (1), clean water is pumped (2) from underground (3) into a 2,500-liter tank (4), standing seven meters above the ground.

Don't you always hear people say about kids, "If we could bottle up that energy"...looks like someone put it to good use! lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit