Welcome to Awakened07!

by nvrgnbk 24 Replies latest jw friends

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

This is a portion of his first post:

Very short bio: I'm a born-again atheist, fading away from the WT.

LOL! Born-again atheist. I love it.

I was going to post the same thing!

WAC (LDA ... Latter Day Athiest)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I'd like to offer a prayer, ok Brother WAC?

Oh God who aren't in Heaven

Thank You for sending us Brother Awakened07

Your absence has been noted

Have a nice day, wherever You are

Amen

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence
    Amen

Thank you bruda man.

I prefer Awoman ;-)

• PEC
    PEC

Welcome, Awakened07.

"Born-again atheist" Someone stole my line, I said that in the chat the other night, damn lurkers.

Philip

• brinjen
    brinjen
    I'm a born-again atheist

I should use that line next time some religious nut approaches me at the bus stop, and I do mean religious nut. You know, the kind that sing praises to god on the bus, clapping their hands without even noticing all the annoyed looks from the other commuters.

• changeling
    changeling

Welcome fellow born again athiest! You'll fit right in.

changeling

• brinjen
    brinjen

I forgot, welcome to JWD Awakened07!

• Miss Bliss
    Miss Bliss

Welcome!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Welcome to the board Awakened!

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Wow - I didn't see this thread until now!

Thank you all! I think there are other newbies here this week too though, but I appreciate the personal welcome.

I have a lot on my mind - I've pretty much considered writing a book! - but I'll take it slow, 'cause there's also a high probability someone has had the same thoughts and experiences and already written about them somewhere here. Too bad the search function is down.

As for 'born-again atheist':

I think it was Richard Dawkins who said we are all born atheist (or rather, with no preconceived notion of any specific deity), and that the religion you belong to is most often a result of where you were born on this planet. So - if I was born an atheist, I am now a "born-again atheist".

That said, I wouldn't mind believing in God (The Creator), if He presented Himself (or Herself or... Itself) to me in a decent way, but the biblical God? Not so much. And other religions I've looked into are either just weird or just as unsupported by logic and science as Christianity (don't mean to step on anyone's toes here - I'm sure there are plenty who have gone from JWs to some other Christian (or other) church). But right now, I'm in the atheist camp.

In explaining that, here's some recommended viewing (YouTube) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05PM9_bblmI (he may be a member here - maybe even one of you guys for all I know). After watching that, a believer would probably say "What?? What about every single living cell in every single living creature, and what about the entire universe?? How's that for proof??" Well - it would be too exhausting to go through all that here, but suffice to say, that if you really study various scientific theories - and sometimes even pure logic - you get a whole other outlook on things. Science is REALLY misrepresented in the JW literature.There are many great videos on YouTube on this subject. Just don't fall for the creationist ones.

There are little 'holes' in the scientific theories where you could still insert God if you want to, but at the same time that wouldn't really explain anything either. Think about it - if mankind had always relied on "Well - God did it / made it", and no scientific research (exploration of natural causes, due to curiousness) was allowed, where would we be today? -Every single weather phenomenon would still be "God's work". Every earthquake, every comet, every tornado and so on and so forth.

- I may seem a little 'paranoid' compared to others here; I don't state my age or where I'm posting from, but that will most likely change once I'm DA'ed (I won't get DF'ed, because I simply do not lead a life that would warrant it, in any way. So much for atheists being drunkards, drug addicts, sexaholics, devil worshiping, animal sacrificing insane people... I'm just as I was on "the inside". I rarely drink at all, for instance. Don't smoke, don't gamble, don't have sex (yet), etc. etc.).

OK.... that became a little long-winded... Just thought I'd explain a little where I'm coming from. Without... explaining where I'm coming from... if you know what I mean.

What I can say is that English is my secondary language, but I'm pretty fluent in it, at least the written part (plus I use a spell-checker). I have a horrible accent when I try to speak it, though...

So again - thanks! Even though I'm now pretty much alone, it's nice to know others have gone through the same things and had some of the same thoughts and feelings. You seem like a likeable bunch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit