I've Fallen In Love

by choosing life 17 Replies latest jw friends

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

Michigan is a great place to visit, but a terrible place to live. We have a saying here, "A view of the bay (or lake) means half the pay." The state right now is in the middle of economic disaster. Engler destroyed the economy in the 90's and Granholm has failed to restore it. Jobs are going bye-bye everywhere. All the furniture and automotive businesses are going either to Mexico or China. On top of that, the cost of living is ridiculously high. Good paying jobs here are scarce and even if you do get one, you will probably get laid off in the next few years. Long ago each side of Michigan decided to put its' eggs in one basket: furniture in the west and automobiles in the east. Now that both are suffering there is nothing the state can fall back on.

For every 1 person that moves to Michigan, probably 3 move away. U-Haul is charging an extra fee for people leaving the state because they actually have to drive the trucks back due to lack of people moving here. If you value your happiness and financial security, take it from me: DONT MOVE HERE.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Here are 2 scenic spots you should see in Michigan.

The first is the Leelanau peninsula just above Traverse City. The road follows the lake and you pass through a few small towns that are really picturesque. The color of the lake water is blue/green and looks almost caribbean.

The absolute most scenic spot I have ever seen in Michigan is in Arcadia, which is just north of Manistee. The road climbs to the top of a hill, and as soon as you reach the top of the hill, you are faced with what appears to be an ocean, but is actually Lake Michigan. This is absolutely one of the most awesome sights to see. I cant even describe it.

Dave

• choosing life
    choosing life

Snakes,

I thought that might get you! Funny huh?

• choosing life
    choosing life

Kitten Whiskers,

I always liked that username. Yes, I have been to Mackinaw Island and it is beautiful. Went further to the Upper Peninsula ans Canada. Sounds like you have fond memories.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I spent a week in Detroit one afternoon.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Junction Guy,

I have been to Leelanau Peninsula and it too is beautiful. And Arcadia, along with Manistee which holds a special place in my heart.

I noticed this summer that there are so many places for sale along the west coast too. There have never seemed to be too many well paying jobs there, but I am talking about retiring there. I like St Joseph's too and South Haven is nice. I havn't found too many towns I didn't like along the west coast. I have been to the suburbs of Detroit, but not the city. I haven't explored the east coast side much. I have this thing about wanting the sun to set over the lake, not rise. I don't function well in the AM.

I would like to invest in some property up there now, but don't know how to go about it, as it will be a while before we can retire. Any suggestions?

• Uncertain
    Uncertain

Ah, my home state. Summer and fall are spectacular, followed by months of short days, cold winds, biting precitation, and worse. The on and off onset of spring is always heartbreaking, and there is the misery of ice storms following budding trees. I expect that "April is the crulest month" was written after a trip here. The economy and the ensuing scapegoating are not pleasant. Job prospects are laughable. When I left in 1981, the expression was "Last one out, turn out the lights." When I returned in 2005, that rusted sign hung crookedly in the dark. If you can bring all the money and warm clothing you will ever need, come and take advantage of the highest forclosure rate in the country. But if you need a job, this is not such a pleasant peninsula. Bea, of the I-hope-I-can-last-through-another-misbegotten-winter class.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    thank god - I thought this was going to be another, "I'm in love with a JW - do you think we can make it work?" thread.

lol JoJo
    I've never been to Michigan but I had a good friend that moved to a small area near battlecreek, I heard it was just gorgeous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit