I've Fallen In Love

by choosing life 17 Replies latest jw friends

• choosing life
    choosing life

With Michigan.

I have been to Michigan many times and I just love the lake and the landscape. The sunsets over Lake Michigan are the most beautiful I have ever seen. I have been to most places up the west coast along the lake. The flowers grow so nicely there, because of the climate. Then there are wineries and fruit orchards throughout the state.

Anyone here from Michigan? Do you like it? The one thing I havn't done is go there much in the winter. I did one time on a ski trip and loved that too. They have snowmobile trails all over. Are those fun to use?

I ask because I think I might retire up there. Those who live there year round, what do you think? Would you reccommend it or are the winters just too long?

• Emma
    Emma

Yes, Michigan is beautiful. We're having more than our share of economic problems right now, though.

I live in the south-eastern part of the state but spend vacations up around the Traverse City area.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

choosing life.....

you had me going there for a second...you started the thread...I just had to see (I assumed what not whom) you had fallen in love with.

So unlike you! Nice.

Snakes ()

by the way, I dont think I have ever been to Michigan.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

Michigan is beautiful. There are so many places to go and you are never more than 5 miles (I think that's the statistic) from water!

We were born and raised there. The winters of late have been cold. Very bitter cold, strong winds and not enough snow to be sure of a good a ski trip. At least that was what it was like about 3 or 4 winters ago. We have moved south since. If you retire there, set aside enough for your heating bill!!!!

Right now the economy is dismal, and many are losing their homes. The one we just sold, was forclosed upon since and the realty agent told me it sold for less than 1/2 of what we sold it for! Got out of there just in time!

Last summer, almost 1/2 of the homes on Lake Huron we drove past from Port Huron and south were for sale. I am not kidding when I say 1/2 of them were for sale. We were flabbergasted! If you are seriously thinking of moving north, now might be the time to shop for your new place! The Lake Michigan side gets a lot of tourism though, so I don't have any idea what the market is like there right now. It is beautiful. Have you been to Mackinaw Island yet? You simply must go and bike around it if you can! I love the island. Frankenmuth is also a wonderful tourist town. It is called Michigan's Little Bavaria. It is also home to the U.S. largest christmas store, Bronner's.

The fishing is great too. I swear there is no better smell than getting close to the lakes and smelling them before you see them. (The moisure in the air alerts your senses to the water). I wish we had more time when we go back!

Thanks for the stroll through my home state!

• Brigid
    Brigid

I've heard it's absolutely breathtakingly beautiful in MI. And it's a buyer's market right now! I was on the phone with an agent there this morning and I said you guys are getting killed....he said killed isn't the word...it's an all out blood bath!

Anyway, now's the time to sell high (depending on where you are) and buy low. Real estate is a hold'em game, so if you can hold it, it will be back up (even poor old MI).

Gods, shop talk! Somebody shoot me!!!

• Open mind
    Open mind

Yep, Choosing Life, Michigan is a gorgeous state. You had me going too.

OK, here's a Michigan geography trivia question.

If you're cruising along in your amphibious vehicle in downtown Detroit and travel due South, after leaving the United States, what's the next country you will enter?

All you Michiganders probably already know this one.

Open Mind

• ninja
    ninja

canada?

• Open mind
    Open mind

Da ninjographer gets the prize!!!

Due South of Detroit is Ontario, then the US again, then either Cuba or Honduras. Kinda hard to tell on my globe.

Smart ol' Scotsman.

Open Mind

• ninja
    ninja

woo hoo ninja....trivia king

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

thank god - I thought this was going to be another, "I'm in love with a JW - do you think we can make it work?" thread.

I've been to Michigan - I like it -- I'm a Minnesota Girl myself - so they seem pretty similar to me. Winter's here aren't too bad, so I would assume they are smiliar in MI.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit