Going to Maui and looking for advice

by Dawn 16 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Here's a site for grocery shopping tips and savings:

• Dawn
    Dawn

Wow - this is great. Thank you so much.

FlyingHighNow - I sure appreciate the insight from someone who lived there. I'm going to print these all out and share with my girlfriends.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    I lived in Hawaii, Oahu for most of a year.

wow, some people have all the luck.
    I know nothing about Maui but I hope you have a great time Dawn, sounds pretty exciting!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow..You Hawaiians get cold so quick..70F and you put on a ski jacket..LOL!!..Our Summers would be fine for you..Our Winters would be difficult for you...OUTLAW

Actually, I am a southern belle. But when you're in Hawaii, you get acclimated to the weather. When it's getting back to school time, they sell sweatshirts and light jackets. The locals aren't used to chilly weather at all. The coldest it got when I was there was 62 degrees fahrenheit. But it was very windy and there was a light rain. So a sweatshirt, long pants and sneakers do come in handy at times. At Christmas, everyone puts Santas and Sleighs and Snowmen in their front yards. That wasn't weird to me because I spent my first 11 Christmases on the Gulf Coast, where one year their could be icy puddles and the next you might be running barefoot. The nice thing about Hawaii is that it doesn't generally get above 80 there. It can get up to 90, but that's unusual. The homes do not have heating systems and some of them don't have a/c. Some are set up to take advantage of the trade winds and shade so that they don't need a/c.

When I first got to Oahu, I lived in Ewa Beach (pronounced Eva with a short E sound). That's in the desert and it hardly ever rained. I hated that. There is supposed to be no lightening and thunder, but I did see at least one thunder storm. There are rainbows everyday, sometimes you see several. That's why the license plates, at least they used to, have rainbows on them.

• Makena1
    Makena1

Dawn, we've been here for a couple of years. Except for some spelling errors, you have been given some good info from the folks that have responded so far. I sent you a PM and can provide some more info when I get back from LV. Aloha, Makena

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Sites:

Haleakala at sunrise.

Oheo gulch (seven sacred pools) Hana.

Kekaa (black rock) Kaanapali.

Makena Beach (Little Makena is nude ).

Molokini snorkle.

Pacific Whale Foundation whale watch (if in season).

Maui Ocean Center.

Horseback up West Maui mountains.

Food:

Longhi's Lahaina.

Kimo's Lahaina.

Alexander's Kihei (fish & chips).

Mama's Fish House Paia (must go but $$$).

JMHO

• Dagney
    Dagney
    Mama's Fish House Paia (must go but $$$).

That's it!!! Well worth saving and splurging. Go at lunch, I'm sure it's less expensive. I agree...on the seven pools at Hana.

Maui is not that big...you can do it all!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit