Does Anyone Hate Titles?

by choosing life 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Mum
    Mum

Let me apologize for all whom I may have offended. I have a habit of calling people brother and sister because I believe we all are truly brothers and sisters whether we like it or not. Even if you don't like me, or vice versa, we are all family, albeit a huge, dysfunctional one.

A fellow member of the human race,

SandraC

• whyizit
    whyizit

Can't stand titles! I associate them with social climbers, which annoy me to no end.

I currently have a "friend" (I use that term loosely) who is a big time social climber. We are polar opposites on every issue and I try to avoid her at all costs, but occasionally I get roped in to spending time with her. I know that if it wasn't for some of the wealthy friends I have, she wouldn't have anything to do with me.

She wants to butt kiss my $$$ buddies so bad, but they know a phony when they see one. She's not the only one who wants to rub elbows with them because of their social status. Which they find obnoxious. They like genuine people.

I must be as frustrating to her, as she is to me. I'm not getting her into the loop. Poetic justice? :0)

• noni1974
    noni1974

I like titles.How else am I suposed to know what the books about??

Seriously I have a title.It's Rev. Noni at your service.I can marry people and everything.I got my title on the internet.

• poppers
    poppers

From choosing life: "There need to be labels in your life, mother, daugter, wife, psychologist, etc. Right? Then I think that even those labels need to get lost, too, if we are going to enjoy the total experience of just being. Then I think why am I thinking about all these things all the time? Then I just begin to listen to the coversation in my mind and notice all the drama in my life created by my mind."

Lots of powerful insight here. People put labels on themselves, play roles in relationships, and earn titles to distinguish themselves from others who don't have those titles. And what happens as a result? They see themselves AS those labels, AS those roles, AS those titles and they end up living their lives in their mind, and an imaginary life of mind created drama traps them within those things.

What are we without the label, without the role, without the title? Finding out THAT is worthwhile indeed. Then life is lived free from from the tyranny of title, rank, role, and label. Those become useful in the play of life but they no longer serve as something to identify with, and drop away when no longer needed.

Nice post, choosing life.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Sandra C.

You would never offend me by calling me sister, as I know you are using it in a good way. Sincerely Choosing Life

• proplog2
    proplog2

I don't mind functional titles President, Secretary of State, HR Manager, Presiding Overseer. Especially, when I am trying to find out who is responsible for something. I don't like titles that suggest a particular "class" of individuals ie. Elder, Miniserial Servant, Pioneer, Special Pioneer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit