Does Anyone Hate Titles?

by choosing life 15 Replies latest jw friends

• choosing life
    choosing life

No, I mean detest titles. The borg. experience has left me with a revulsion to titles. I don't think it is all good, though. There need to be labels in your life, mother, daugter, wife, psychologist, etc. Right? Then I think that even those labels need to get lost, too, if we are going to enjoy the total experience of just being. Then I think why am I thinking about all these things all the time? Then I just begin to listen to the coversation in my mind and notice all the drama in my life created by my mind.

And then I just listen to some music and go outside and tend the garden as the sun sets. Pretty much describes a day in the life of the person I have come to know as me.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I think titles are stuffy, and I loved your stream-of-consciousness post. Can I call you "Sister" Choosing Life? (Some on here have called me Brother Gopher, and I think it's funny.)

• choosing life
    choosing life

I guess it all depends on where I am in the stream of conscioucness?

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I find I detest certain titles.

For example, before I retired when I would be responding to letters we received, I had no problem writing back to Dr. Whoever. If the letter came in signed Reverend or Pastor Somebody, I just could not bring myself to use those terms. I addressed the response to Mr. Somebody.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Feel free to call me "Mr."

• PEC
    PEC

Out 27 years and calling/being called brother or sister still turns my stomach.

Philip

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

I thought this thread was called "Does anyone hate turtles"...

No I love turtles. Especially in soup!

Pope

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I love titles

Sincerely,

Matt (Purveyor of Darkness)

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

lots of phoniness around titles. For instance, a woman once applied for a job at my company. At the interview, she called me by my first name (even though she was trying to get a job from me). So, I called her by her first name also. She corrected me; I had to call her "Dr." Ummmmmmm. She didn't get the job.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Purveyor of Darkness,

Now just what might that mean, Matt.?

Hortensia,

I wouldn't have given her the job either. I work where I am called by my first name and the all important physicians are called Dr. so and so. I prefer them using my first name.

Phillip,

Brother and Sister always bothered me from the get-go. Often referred to others by first name only way back when.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit